Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

My clitoris is very sensitive and painful to touch is this

My clitoris is very sensitive and painful to touch is this normal?
Hello, I would be happy to assist. The most common reasons for this include a yeast infection, herpes simplex outbreak, or a urinary tract infection. If due to yeast, you may have other signs such as vaginal discharge and/or itching. If due to herpes, you may have small vesicles (bumps) present and either have had a recent encounter with someone with herpes, or this is a reactivation of a previous infection. If due to a urinary tract infection, you may also have burning with urination. Other less common causes could include irritation from new soaps, detergents, or poor air circulation. Also, if you have gone through menopause there can be a cause due to a lack of hormones. However, given your age I wouldn't think you have reached menopause, but if so, please let me know. As far as options to relieve your symptoms until you can see a physician next week, you can use Vagisil which is an over the counter medication that relieves pain. Of course, there are over the counter products you can use for yeast if you also have a discharge/itching. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions if necessary. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. This sensitivity has always been there and whenever I have sex or masturbate I have not been able to directly touch my clitoris due to what seems to me an oversensitivity. I also do not have any of the symptoms you described. This does not seem normal to me and I am puzzled as to why its like this.
Have you had this problem your entire life, or when did it occur? Have you seen a physician for this in the past?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No I have not seen a physician before about it. I am not sure how long it has been like this. My current partner has alerted my attention to it. Ever since I began to masturbate (about 20 years ago) I have always had to stimulate my clitoris indirectly.

The clitoris has several thousand nerve endings and its sensitivity can certainly vary. Since you have always been sensitive, I don't think there is a problem that needs to be treated medically. You can discuss this with your gynecologist who can confirm the appearance and size is indeed normal and there are no masses, discharge accumulation, or abnormal skin appearance near or within the clitoris.