Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

what could cause acute onset watery odorless clear vaginal

what could cause acute onset watery odorless clear vaginal discharge with associated external pain when touched?
Have you ever been pregnant?
Do you have pain within your pelvis/vagina - or do you just have pain on the outside with urination only?
What was your last PAP result?
Do you shave your genital area?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I was pregnant two years ago and had an abortion. I use the nuva ring now.

There is no pain in the pelvis or any other systemic symptoms. The pain is a burning sensation, and not noticed unless I urinate. Due to the copious amount of discharge, I have to wipe often, which is when the burning is most noticed. It is otherwise painless. I feel the source of the pain is from the irritating discharge. There are no lesions/erythema/edema.

My GYN history is as follows:

My last two paps were abnormal for low grade cervical dysplasia (do to HPV) and this condition is closely followed. I have never had any external vaginal lesions.

In years past I've had BV which presented classically with foul/fishy watery discharge, a classic presentation of candida infection (with itch with thick white discharge), and a bad UTI (again with classic burning with urination, inability to completely void, and hematuria).

Yes, I do shave regulary and have for years without any issues.

I'm a PA in critical care and have exhausted my research as to what could be causing this problem. It began with discharge which I disregarded, but it got worse in the middle of the night, nearly soaking my panties. When I went to urinate and wipe I was surprised by the pain. I hadn't thought much of the discharge at that point. I was fearful of a UTI and began some extra Cipro I had on hand. I woke from sleep to wipe the discharge later in the night (and find a pad) and it occured to me that the watery nature could be BV, so I also took some Flagyl.

You are probably cringing at this, but something I took worked. At work today I had no discharge and the burning pain with wiping has eased up dramatically. Any ideas?

What did you take that worked - was it the flagyl?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Cipro 500mg q 12 hrs (I've now had two doses). And a 1g Flagyl this am.
I can think of many reasons for this for which you have already probably figured out and wrote about.
1. UTI
2. BV infection
3. But, could be a coincidental yeast infection (unlikely)
4. Another would be a dysplasia (due to your history of abnormal PAPs)
5. Finally - this could be a PID - Pelvic inflammatory disease or Endometritis - and Flagyl in combination would work for both of these. Also PID is NOT necessarily a STD - many times it is a multifactorial bacterial infection such as from E. coli or other bacteria.

Most likely it is the flagyl that is working, although cipro can take care of many things. So I would continue taking BOTH antibiotics for 10 days.

I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT and thank you for the extensive followup.