Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.

hood of clitoris is red, swollen and itchy

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I would be happy to assist. Your current symptoms may be due to a yeast infection. You can purchase an over the counter produce such as Monistat to treat this. Combination packs work great since they include a vaginal suppository and a separate cream that can be used on the outer labia and clitoris. Your symptoms should improve within a few days. If the swelling increases and become painful to the touch, you may have a recurrence of the previous infection that will need to be treated. These infections occur usually due to the presence of certain types of bacteria on the skin and incidents such as shaving, waxing, or rough intercourse allow them to penetrate the skin and cause an infection. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions if necessary. Best wishes.