Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I have a small bump on the outer labia of my vagina. It is

I have a small bump on the outer labia of my vagina. It is just a single bump, about the size of a pea, and does not hurt or itch or anything. Is it possibly just an ingrown hair/irritation or can it be an STD??
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.

Can you tell me exactly where on the outside of your vagina this 'bump' is? Is it located in the hairy area? Is it located in/on the vagina/vulva closer to your rectum or closer to where you urinate from?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is located on the vulva, to the right of the vaginal opening..not on the inside is the outside portion where there would be hair, but I shave.
It is not peeling or there is no pus or is just a raised red almost looks like a when you are about to get a big pimple or something.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,
Is on the lower portion (closer to your rectum/anus), middle portion or higher - closer to your urethra where you urinate from???
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is located on the middle portion closer to the rectum/anus.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
This could be one of two things most likely - it could be an ingrown hair and/or it could be a Bartholin's gland duct /cyst. The usually initial treatment are warm sitz baths to try and ease any fluid or discharge you might have that is working its way to the surface. And, if this gets bigger and starts hurting more, then sometimes you might need to see your ob/gyn so that you can get this drained - the usual treatment is drainage if the warm baths are not working. It is very unusual to need antibiotics unless there is an infection such as a cellulitis. I hope this helps, please CLICK on ACCEPT and thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I've actually looked up that Bartholin's cyst before and I actually think I may have that which is more in the inner portion of the vagina to the left of the bump I was trying to is actually getting smaller and I was not too worried about's the bump next to it, which yea most likely may be an ingorwn hair...I've had it for 10 days now.
I should probably stop shaving over it though because it may be further irritating it right?
Also, with that Bartholin's cyst, can that be caused by using lube during sex. My boyfriend and I have used a silicone-based lubricant (which you must wash off well) the past couple times we had sex and I didn't wash it off right away...could that be a possible cause of a clogged duct?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
A bartholin cyst is basically caused by the duct getting clogged and honestly there is NO CLEAR answer as to why this happens because as an ob/gyn I see this in women who are sexually active and those who are not sexually active - but you can try not using the silicone lubricant and use a water based lubricant. Also, you can try using massage body oil - as this might help with lubrication without further adding to possible clogging of the bartholin's duct.
I hope this helps and if satisfied, please click on ACCEPT and thank you for your follow up questions.