Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.

Why does my period stop altogether if I swim or take a shower

Why does my period stop altogether if I swim or take a shower washing my hair. Even if its day 2 or 3 if I swim my period does not start back after until my next period.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 6 years ago.

The exercising can affect the period by affecting the hormones. This can result in an early termination or slowing of the flow. The association with taking a shower or washing hair is coincidental.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I exercise regularly so what part of swimming effects my hormones because I do other things from cardio to weight lifting and non of that effects my period. I cant take a shower(wash head) during my first three days because my period stops every time I do. I do have irregular periods and have been diagnosed of PCOS. does this have anything to do with it.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 6 years ago.
After washing your hair how long does it take for the period to return?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sometimes in a day or two sometimes it does not. I'll just start back the next month. I'll get my period every 27 to 36 days average.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 6 years ago.
Given the PCOS your hormones are irregular so your periods will be irregular. The stopping of the period is nothing to worry about as long as you are having a period every 3 months you are fine. Women without PCOS can find a change in their period with exercise as well. If washing your head stops your period there is nothing biological that would cause this to occur. It is not dangerous but just something to note.

Hope this helps. Don't forget to push the accept button for the answers given and so I can get credit for my time.