Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

My wife is a very clean person, but her vagina smells bad.

My wife is a very clean person, but her vagina smells bad. My experience with women is that they may smell fishy sometimes, but the taste during oral sex is still sweet tasting and appealing. The smell around on my fingers and around my mouth after oral sex is usually not bad and dissipates shortly there after and if the smell is still on my fingers or face it is usually is still appealing.

However, since i have been with my wife, which has been over 5 years, the taste during oral sex is very bitter and not appealing, and the smell is strong and pungent. The smell on my fingers and on my face is not good. I can wash my hands and face with soap and water after sex, but i can't get rid of the bad smell. It is so bad i don't have much of desire to have sex with her, because i can not tolerate the smell any more, so it takes away my sex drive. I have not had this problem of such a pungent smell that i can't get rid of and the bitter, awful taste with other women I've been with.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
This is caused by Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) - this is basically an overgrowth of the bacteria that 'protects' her vagina - the treatment for this is either Flagyl (metronidazole) or Cleocin (clindamycin) and this comes in either ointment/cream or pills. If this does not work, the next step is placement of Boric Acid vaginal suppositories for 14 nights in her vagina. I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated. Thank you.