Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a removal of my left fallopian tube and ovary three weeks

I had a removal of my left fallopian tube and ovary three weeks ago. When the tissue was sent to pathology I was told I had endometriosis and pregnancy tissue in my tube. I was told to get an HSG done and did that yesterday. During teh HSG test the Dr. and 2 radiologists said I had a left tube. They looked suprised as was I since I was told the tube was removed along with the left ovary. The right tube was clear as was the left. I was told at that time the Dr. who performed my surgery would need to look over the pictures and file again as it was odd I had a left tube. Upon talking with my Dr. today he said he left part of my tube. This is a different story than what he told my family after the operation and told me at my post op appointment. I even saw the pictures and he stated it was all removed and it was clean. I am having sharp pain in my left side, which was what prompted me to call my Dr. What is the standard procedure for removal of a tube an dovary.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
Let me try to understand the situation. You had the surgery because you had a cyst on the left ovary, and left fallopian tube was just removed because the ovary was removed? Did they do the HCG before because they suspected an ectopic pregnancy? Were you having pain before the surgery? How big was the cyst? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was pregnant and started bleeding the beginning of October. I went to the ER and they did an HCG and told me I would miscarry. My HCG levels dropped slowly over the course of the next 4 weeks usually 10 points per week. I then began to have sharp pain in my left side, went to the DR and they saw a mass that they were unsure if it was an ectopic or a cyst. They sent me for a laparoscopy and at the hospital prior to surgery did not consider an ectopic because the HCG at that time was 4. The then found that the cyst (2) were ahdered to my tube so they told me they had to remove the ovary and the tube. I had the HSG done to rule out any damage or blockage as they found endometriosis cells in the one cyst. I believe the cysts were somewhere around 5cm. I might be wrong on that.
Thank you for the clarification. I can understand your confusion. When we remove a tube, the standard procedure is to take out as much of the tube as possible. Since the tube travels through the uterus (interstitial portion) for more than an inch, that part will still show up on the x-ray, and look like the beginning of the tube. Anything more than that we would try not to leave, but sometimes the anatomy gets distorted from scarring, and more may be left. Since your ovary and tube were adhered together, it may have been difficult to remove any more tube than was done. I have no idea why you're having the pain now, but if it gets severe, you may need another laparoscopy to find out.

Apparently you had an ectopic, but the placental tissue was not functioning, since with an HCG of 4 (normal), it wasn't making hormone. I hope this has been helpful.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.