Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.

Hi, Im 38 weeks pregnant, 2-3 cm dilated and 50% effaced,

Customer Question

Hi, I'm 38 weeks pregnant, 2-3 cm dilated and 50% effaced, the past few days I have been noticing a wet substance on my underwear, it would almost seem like I'm leaking urine, that's the consistency, however, it is slightly tinged reddish brownish, almost like I would be starting my period.. but very light... anyway, when I wipe I get the gross (snotty stringy discharge) not all the time, sometimes. I've also lost my mucus plug. Any ideas what this could be? I had my doctors appointment yesterday and forgot to mention it to him b/c we were talking about other things on hand and I'm sure you're aware of pregnancy brain lol :) Thanks for taking time to read my question!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 6 years ago.

It seems like you may have a small leak in the amniotic fluid sac. This needs to be evaluated especially if you underpants continue to get wet. Wear a pad around and walk for one hour then go to L&D with the pad so they can test it for the presence of amniotic fluid. If your membranes have rupture then you may need to have your labor induced. In L&D they will also evaluate the health of y our baby.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wouldnt the doctor have noticed it yesterday at my appointment if it was my sac I had an internal? Or would I have had to mention the dilema, I know you cant speak for him, but as a doctor would you have noticed it? Also isnt the water supposed to be clear so I'm nervous about the color of it!
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 6 years ago.
Not necessarily if he did look at the cervix directly and see fluid coming out. If you had an ultrasound (US), a small amount of fluid loss is not easily diagnosed. It is pink because you are also dilating and the exam may have produced a little bleeding. During the exam the doctor may have stripped your membranes which stimulates more contractions. It is quite common for the membranes to rupture after this. You should call you doctor and let him know.

Hope this helps. Don't forget to push the accept button for the answers given and so I can get credit for my time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for your time
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 6 years ago.

You are welcome. Don't forget to push the accept button for the answers given and so I can get credit for my time.