How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Monika Hearne, M.D. Your Own Question
Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 5836
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Monika Hearne, M.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mucus like vaginal discharge, no odor, no itching, no burning,

This answer was rated:

Mucus like vaginal discharge, no odor, no itching, no burning, just notice the phlegm-like (slightly yellow) discharge, amount size of about dime to a quarter. Not steady, noticed a couple days ago and today abdominal pain only other symptom, Hx of adenomyosis, endometriosis, cannot be treated with estrogen because blood clotting disorders (factor V Leiden, Antiphosopholipis Syndrome), treat with pain management. Still have periods, between 13day-41 day cycles, but mostly around 26 days. LEEP procedure 10 years ago, Cryosurgery 20 years ago, both for abnormal paps.

Hello, I love your history. Thanks for providing great information. Whatever the last think you stated was cut off, so it is left as "I'm on..."


The only thing you left out was your sexual history. Smile Are you sexually active/any new sexual partners/pain with intercourse/vaginal dryness?


Your discharge may be hormonal. It certainly sounds as if you are perimenopausal with the irregular cycles. As your estrogen levels decline, your discharge may change as the vaginal tissues thrive on estrogen. If you have vaginal dryness and pain with intercourse it is related to the decline in estrogen and the term is called atrophic vaginitis. This is easily diagnosed by physical exam.


Of course, if you are sexually active and with a new partner or your partner has been with someone else, you could have a sexually transmitted infection.


If you still have questions, feel free to ask. I hope this helps. Best wishes!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
for the bits I left out

I am married, in monogamous relationship.
the bit that was cut off, was when your profile popped up I was in the midst of typing that I was on day 24 of my cycle, but lost the window in my eagerness to accept you as expert, the doctor I had hoped for of those online. In May 09 my primary care did 5 biomarker blood tests (don't recall names off hand) and results showed not in menopause, a matter of great interest as there is a great deal of pain associated with my cycles so sooner would seem better, though she says that menopause is no guarantee pain will end. I did have low testosterone, but she didn't beleive needed to beaddress.

Do any of these factors make a difference? I definitely believe we can rule out sexually transmitted disease. Is there particular test you suggest should ask for upon seeing a physician in person? and do you find premenstrual cramping also increases with perimenopause.




There actually is not a good blood test for perimenopause, it is best diagnosed by age and history. Given your pain, was an ultrasound performed? Uterine fibroids (benign tumors) are quite common and they can grow under the abnormal fluctuations of your hormones (and seen on ultrasound). If not, I certainly recommend one due to the pain. If present, the fibroids will gradually resolve after menopause is completed (no more estrogen production by your ovaries). The increased cramping may be due to the frequency of your periods, or of course the fibroids. If your bleeding becomes worse, or you can't handle the pain--fibroids are one of the most common causes for hysterectomy. Given your medical history, if it came to this I would recommend a laparoscopic approach for faster recovery, less pain, and faster mobility--minimizing risks of blood clots.


When you return to your physician to evaluate the discharge, they can look under the microscope (test is called wet mount) to look for abnormalities like abnormal cells, inflammatory cells, excessive bacteria or yeast. If the appearance of your vagina is pale and flat, it suggests atrophy. If your cervix appears inflammed, maybe an STD or bacterial vaginosis (not sexually transmitted). They can check for gonorrhea/chlamydia as well as repeating your pap smear to make sure there hasn't been a recurrence. Best wishes!

Monika Hearne, M.D. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you