Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

how much is a hysterectomy with no insurance

Customer Question

how much is a hysterectomy with no insurance?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
This depends where you are in the world - but in the US full price with no insurance could be about $2500 to $5000
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am in Tennessee. My mother has had two fibroid tumors in the muscle wall of her uterus for 7 years. no insurance will take her without having us wait 12 months for surgery and she needs it now. does the fact that there are two and the location of them mean that the price will be more?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
How big are these fibroids and how old is she?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she is 35 and one of the fibroids is about the size of a golf ball and the other one is twice that.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
No, the price will not be more - as the surgery is the same - however, the fibroids are really not that big overall, and this will not kill her - there are some ways to help her medically such as with birth control pills, a Mirena IUD, or even a depo lupron injection (although expensive) - these options can tide her over until her insurance kicks in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she has done all this. they also tried a laser procedure to shrink them but that didnt help either.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
One other option would be a radiologist procedure called an UAE - Uterine Artery Embolization and with just 2 fibroids she is actually a perfect candidate for this and much cheaper and less invasive than a hysterectomy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay. but on the chance that it doesnt work, 2500-5000 is the cost including a couple days hospital stay and all that?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that should include the surgeon's fee, the hospital fee, medications, and anesthesia fee.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and how much is the UAE
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Depending on the radiologist - about $1000 to $1500 and done under local sedation - that's it and it works usually very well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So a radiologist is who we would need to make an appointment with to speak with them about whether or not she is a candidate and everything?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
It would be an Interventional Radiologist, not just a radiologist who reads the films, but a radiologists that does procedures - they are usually located at major hospital centers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on the internet it says that it would be hard to do it through the muscle wall without damaging it. does this make her not a candidate?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
No, it is NOT done through the muscle wall - this is done through the Artery itself - and no it does not damage anything.