Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Today, I was diagnoised with a 12cm lining around my uterus.

Today, I was diagnoised with a 12cm lining around my uterus. I believe these are fibroids that I was diagnoised with years ago...and no one suggested I do any thing about them then..Now, they are wanting me to have my uterus removed...If I have a Uterine biopsy and it is benign...can I safely decide not to have any surgery done or remove my uterus...?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
Do you mean 12 mm. lining? 12 cm. is almost 5 inches. Have you had bleeding? Why was the ultrasound done? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, Dr. Norman...I mean 12mm....I have had no problems at all...I just went to see this ob/gyn to get her to write for my bio-identical hormones and she wanted to do a whole bunch of tests...one of which was a vaginal ultra sound which is what showed the lining of the uterus to be 12mm...she told me it was a sign of some kind of Pathology and I needed to go into the hospital to have a biopsy done to see what it was...she also wrote on her diagnosis....12cm--complex...whatever that means....since I have had no trouble whatsoever...I really do not want to subject myself to a ob/gyn oncologist to have a endometrial biopsy done...I just do not see a need for it...I have had these fibroids for years and am not bothered by them....according to Dr. Susan Lark...fibroids as large as 13mm have been shrunk by using flavnoids as an anti-estrogenic, and by eating whole foods such as veggies, fruits, nuts, seed, and whole grains...this is the way she treats her patients....just would like your opinion on all this...thanks Caroline at XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Hi Caroline,
The 12 mm refers to the lining inside the uterus, and has nothing to do with the fibroids. After menopause, we like to see the lining be 5 mm or less, so yours is definitely thickened. This could represent endometrial (uterine lining) cancer or precancer. An endometrial biopsy is important for you, although any OB/GYN can do it. If you have a 12 cm complex mass, that's something else. One cm is 10 times one mm, so a 12 cm mass is sizable. If it refers to a fibroid, it may be nothing. If it refers to your ovary, that would require surgery. Fibroids are usually not a concern after menopause, but it sounds like you have something else going on. You need at least an endometrial biopsy, and perhaps more. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Norman...if this is cancer or pre-cancer...will removing the uterus solve the situation? Caroline
Most likely it will. If it's only pre-cancer, removing the uterus will take care of it. If it's cancer, removing the uterus will treat it if it's early. If it's more advanced, you might need radiation after the surgery. The endometrial biopsy will usually be able to tell the diagnosis, although not necessarily how advanced it is (which is found at surgery).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Norman...can you tell me what the side effects of radiation on the uterine area would be? Caroline.
Caroline,
I think you're getting ahead of the game. You probably don't even have cancer, and if you do, you probably won't need radiation. The main side effect of pelvic radiation would be bowel problems, usually temporary diarrhea.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Norman....if it is not cancer....could it be anything other than pre-cancer? Thanks for your patience in answering my questions...Caroline
It could be pre-cancer, or it could be hyperplasia, which is just a thickening or overgrowth. In that case, you may not even need a hysterectomy, but could be treated with progesterone hormones.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much for the information...I feel better about the whole situation at this point....God bless you and yours....Caroline
You're welcome. If I've been helpful, please click on the Accept button. Thank you and God bless you.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.