Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

What does it mean if i have a negative urinalysis but the dip

Customer Question

What does it mean if i have a negative urinalysis but the dip stick shows luekocytes, . Symptoms are a heavy cramping feeling very low. No pain durng urination or feeling of having to go when I don;t. This has been going on for at least 3 weeks. sometimes a slight burning at the labia ares but not bad
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Actually, this is NOT a negative urinalysis - however, I would recommend having a urine culture done especially if the WBCs are greater than epithelial cells. Also, macrobid is not a true antibiotic - although it does work great from many UTI problems, sometimes there needs to be a more powerful medication.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did have a true uranalyisi culture and it was negative. I now have some cipro, should that be something that would help determine what is going on?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
A urinalysis and a urine culture are 2 different things - the culture will tell you if you actually have a bacterial growth and this takes 72 hours to grow, plus is there is an organsim such as E. coli, the culture will tell you what antibiotics are resistant or sensitive.
The cipro should do a better job - but since you recently took macrobid - you should take it for at least 10 days - but you should find out exactly what bacteria is causing this too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They said they did a culture and it was done on a Wed AM and I got results Friday AM so this clearly was not 72hrs, What if anything would show from this?

Are you saying I should take cipro for at least 10 days, I only have a 3 day supply. if it feels like it begins to work I can get more

So I am not clear, how do I find out what the bacteria there is, and wouldn;t a simple urinalysis at least show the white blood cells like the dip stick. I used an OTC Azo stick

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes you can have preliminary results at 48 hours - especially if from an obvious infection. Most of the time a 3 day supply will work - however, since you have been treated already - I usually treat for a total of 10 days, to wipe out ALL the bacteria.
So, ask your doctor or whoever did the urine CULTURE - from there you will find out the exact bacteria that caused this - it is usually E. coli, or kleibsiella or GBS (group B strep). I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated for my help to you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What I am saying is the urologist said the culture was negative so no one is even acknowledgeing that there is anything wrong, they are stricly going on my symptoms and insistance that the dip stick is positive. I guess they are humoring me???
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
If the culture was negative, then why even get treated with Cipro - they probably are humoring you - something really does not make sense here - also as a female - you really should be going to an ob/gyn - most ob/gyn's can handle a urological problem of the female too. Take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I went to Ob/Gyn and told of my symptoms, heaviness, felt like a bladder infection beginning but never getting really bad, a bit of burning, and a strong purple on the dip stick for white count. She did not see anything on a dip stick at her office and dismissed it. So as the dip stick stilled showed white cells and i was symptomatic i asked a urologist friiend to order a culture.

So I am not sure how to get to the bottom of this. I am not an alarmist, I can certainly handle the discomfort as long as i know the white cell dip stick is not something going on

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Well, no matter what the dip stick says, the ultimate test is the urine culture - and I always send a urine culture if WBCs are greater than Epithelial cells - if Epithelial cells are greater, then the urine sample is worseless to begin with except with a urine culture. I know you are in discomfort, but sometimes this can be dysplasia, another infection on the outside of the urethra, it could be interstitial cystitis, or it could be a contact dermatitis - and a pelvic exam will also help here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry I am making this so "painful" but I did have a pelvic and she did a slide for discharge and all came back negative, Again i just want to know if to be concerned about the white cells on dip stick. The discomfort is NOT a problem except that I want to be sure I am not ignoring something that may get worse or be serious.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
The white cells are only a marker - most of the times this does not mean anything, and if the culture is negative, then it really means nothing. But, if you are having symptoms, then I would suggest having what I talked about in the previoius post looked into. Please take care, thank you -
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YOu said several things about how a test results are skewed etc so do you mind just giving me a one sentence of what you would do if this was your patient as next step
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
I would stop where you are at - you are really making this more difficult that it really is. Now, if you have no symptoms, leave well enough alone - honestly - this is not something that you should be bothered by at this time. People have WBCs on their UA's - that's okay - and if the culture is okay - then leave this alone. But, if you have symptoms, then what I say a few statements back is the approach I would take. And, honestly, a urologist is not the appropriate physician to see for wbc's unless you have bladder cancer, kidney problems, etc....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not trying to make this confusing and if you wnat to send this to someone else that is fine.

I simply want to know and cannot tell from your prior comments which one you are referring to.

Just want to know ONE THING: if I have had symptoms for a month, white cells on stick that are strong ,dark in color, and had some relief with macrobid. then you are saying this is not indicitive of anything else that should be pursued. that is fine.

You mentioned bladder and kidney problems, My father had kidney cancer but I have no red blood cells in my urine.

1. I have had symptoms for the last month
  2. do have white cells on dip stick, that show strong dark color on stick
  3. pelvic negative, urnie culture negative.

I will take this and your comments to mean that I should do nothing?

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
I give up - I gave you everything you needed - so you can start again with someone else, I will not let someone else take credit for my work - so - start a new question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I appreciate your time, I thought I made it pretty simple and asked for a straight forward answer simple, Below not too hard

Thanks anyway

1. any more test?
  2. forget it and
  3. this is not a sign of anything else that needed to be exlored.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
I know i'm not getting paid, so i'm not trying any more
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry that wasn;t the case but your call

I was sticking with you but I understand we just don;t communicate well

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Take care