Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.

I am constantly bloated, even when Im not on my period and

Customer Question

I am constantly bloated, even when I'm not on my period and I have constant cloudy discharge... should I be worried?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 years ago.

The bloating around the period is due to fluid retention, but may also be due to insufficient water intake. You should reduce your salt and sugar intake especially during the week before your period. To reduce intestinal bloating make sure you are living a healthily. Healthy living will help improve your immune system. So no cigarettes use or other smoking, no alcohol. Eat lots of fruits and veggies at least 5-6 servings per day and get regular exercise (30 min per day or 40-45 min 4-5 x per week). And of course drink lots of water, at least 64 oz a day; as well as limiting caffeine intake, for every cup of caffeine you need an additional cup of water.

For the cloudy discharge this can be due to the hormonal changes or an infection. If there is itching or an odor this could be a sign of an infection so a swab specimen may uncover the cause. If there are no other symptoms then this may also be due to inadequate water intake.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

In endometriosis, cells that normally line the inside of the uterus (the endometrium) grow inappropriately outside on organs such as the ovaries, bladder, or rectum.

Symptoms you may have:

• Pelvic pain or cramps before or during your period
  • Pain during or after sex
  • Painful bowel movements
  • Rectal bleeding during your period
  • Pain when you urinate
  • Lower back pain
  • Bloating in the abdomen

I have all of these systems. My period is not due until the 25th of this month and I am so bloated right now, I look pregnant. I got this information off of WebMD. Do I need to worry about Endometriosis?

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 years ago.
Endometriosis that warrants treatment generally causes pain. If pain is part of your symptoms then yes you may have endometriosis. This is generally a diagnosis based on symptoms and pelvic exam, only a laparoscopy will cause definitive diagnosis. The symptoms you read do not occur in all women with endometriosis but pain is the common complaint. A pelvic exam is also helpful to identify the extent of disease.

Hope this helps.