Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years

my labia minora is swollen and red. its been like that for

Customer Question

my labia minora is swollen and red. it's been like that for a while and get's worse after each menstration. I am in the process of finding a female doctor, but i'm freaking out. I haven't had sex in a long time now. and this happened long after my last sexual intercourse. what could it be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you.

You do not have an STD - and may not have an infection. If both labia minora are red and swollen you likely have a dermatitis - reaction to something in your environment. If it is worse after your period, you may be having a reaction to something (perfume, dye) in your sanitary protection. Try to see if you can find a doctor of course, but in the mean time consider changing to a hypoallergenic pads/tampons (ask the pharmacist where to find).

I hope you find this information helpful.

Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me.

Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.

Good Luck and Well Wishes,

Dr. Haver
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the answer Dr. Haver. I just wanted to clarify a bit more. the swelling seems to have "spread" or grown and the clitoris area is also swollen does this mean i have an infection?
It might since it is not spreading away from the initial spot. Most likely a external yeast infection if it is truly infected. Since it is getting worse - I would call your doctor and see about getting evaluated before it spreads more and you become completely miserable!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help and advice.
My pleasure.