Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Is 13 mm an acceptable uterine thickness on day 17 of a 25

Is 13 mm an acceptable uterine thickness on day 17 of a 25 day cycle for a still ovulating, menstruating 50 year old woman?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 years ago.
I believe it is. Normal endometrial thickness in the second half of the cycle is 7-16 mm, so 13 is in that range. Best regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would any further follow up be necessary? Would 13mm be more normal towards the end of my cycle or is that an acceptable thickness on that particular day in the 25 day cycle? The reason I ask is that I've been told that if it was day 24 that would be ok but since it was earlier it is a little thick. What do you think? Also, is 3 cm small, medium or large for a fibroid? Can anything be done to shrink the fibroid naturally; this is the first and only one I've ever had. What would cause me to have one now?
The endometrium is usally thickest about a week after ovulation. With a 25 day cycle, ovulation would be about day 11, so you're 6 days after ovulation. Seems normal to me. As far as the fibroid, they range from pea size to cantalope size or bigger. 3 cm is not very big, and probably won't require any treatment. Fibroids shrink after menopause, and the average age of menopause is 51, so time will probably take care of it. They come with age, and for no other reason that we know. There is nothing that will shrink it naturally, but there is a medication, lupron, that causes a temporary menopause and will shrink it. Unless it's causing bleeding problems, no treatment is needed. There is more at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uterine-fibroids/DS00078.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One last question--am I more likely to develop polyps because I have a fibroid or are those two different issues entirely? My doctor thinks we should check for polyps too and I would rather not have any further procedures at this time unless there is a valid reason for doing so. What do you think?
Polyps and fibroids are two different things, and not related that I know of. If your doctor thinks you may have polyps because he/she is concerned that the endometrium is thickened, perhaps you could get another ultrasound just after your period when the lining would be thin.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.