Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Ive been having brown discharge for 2 weeks after my period...is

I've been having brown discharge for 2 weeks after my period...is this bad?
Do your periods come regularly every month? Are you on the pill? Have you had much stress lately? Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
they come regularly and I'm not on the pill...stress has been no more than usual, which is really pretty low.
Usually a brownish discharge like you've described would indicate that you didn't ovulate. When you don't ovulate, the hormone changes that cause the uterine lining to clean off with a period aren't there. Consequently the lining doesn't clean off and further bleeding or spotting or brown discharge can occur. Usually if you don't ovulate, your period doesn't come exactly when expected, so it doesn't quite fit with your story. However, it's still the most likely reason for the abnormal spotting. Not ovulating happens to all women at times. Causes other than stress are weight change, illness, thyroid problems, and sometimes we don't find a reason. It usually takes care of itself with time, but since yours has gone on in 2 cycles, I would probably think about seeing your doctor to have it checked out some more. Best wishes.