Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

MY DOCTOR WANTS TO PLACE IUD FOR PMDD PUPOSES AND BIRTH CONTROL

MY DOCTOR WANTS TO PLACE IUD FOR PMDD PUPOSES AND BIRTH CONTROL , BUT MORE SO FOR PMDD. YAZ HELPED SLIGHTLY . BUT I AM DESPERATE FOR SOMETHING TO HELP ME. I HAVE CLINICAL DEPRESSION AND ALREADY AM ON ANTIDEPPANT SO FOR YEARS I'VE BEEN TOLD " THERE'S NOTHING ELSE WE CAN DO FOR YOU." SO WHEN THIS DOC SAID MIRENA WOULD WORK IT GAVE ME HOPE . BUT NOW I'M FEELING SKEPTICAL AND THOUGHT I'D BETTER GET MORE EDUCATED ON THIS BEFORE I HAVE IT IMPLANTED. I'M 37 YEARS OLD . TWO WEEKS OUT OF THE MONTH I'M SAD / DEPRESSED AND FATIGUED , ALONG WITH NEW ONSET OF CRAMPS . IT'S LIKE A LIGHT SWITCH THAT GOES ON OR OFF AND I KNOW SOMETHINGS CHANGING . SO I LOOK AT MY PILL PACK AND SURE ENOUGH IT'S THE 14TH DAY OF MY CYCLE . OH , THE MIGRAINES DURING MY PERIOD ARE HIDEOUS . ANYWAY, ANY THOUGHTS?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
The IUD is NOT meant for PMDD - the treatment that has the most success so far is a SSRI called Sarefem (also known as prozac) - YES, this works!!! But, the Mirena IUD will also help with your bleeding - you did not mention the type of IUD - but get a Mirena IUD. I hope this helps, take care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I AM ON CYMBALTA AND HAVE BEEN ON SSRI S FOR MANY YEARS . NO HELP. I REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BLEEDING AS IT IS MINIMAL / SPOTTING , ANYWAY, I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF MIRENA WILL HELP HELP MY PMDD OR IF IT IS KNOWN TO HELP WITH THIS DISORDER. THANK YOU , MARIPAT

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Yes, but Sarafem is SPECIFICALLY geared towards helping PMDD - other SSRI's will not work. The Mirena will UNLIKELY help the PMDD, but it might help the bleeding - which might help the cramping and the possible PMS symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WHY IS MY OB SO CONVINCED THAT THE PROGESTIN IN THE MINERA WILL MOST CERTAINLY "CURE MY PMDD" ? AND WHY WON'T WHY PSYCHIATRIST PUT ME ON PROZAC DURING PMS OR AS ADJUNCT TO THE CYBALTA ? AS I'VE ASKED HER MANY TIMES. SHE STATES THAT RESEARCH SHOWS THERE IS LITTLE PROOF OF HELP WITH TX LIKE THIS . IM SO FRUSTRATED. I JUST FEEL LIKE SAYING FORGET IT ALL AND JUST DEALING WITH IT . BUT IM SICK OF IT . IM NOT STUPID , AND NOONE SEEMS TO BE DOING THEIR JOB , MEANING RESEARCHING MY PROBLEMS. I HAD TO RESEARCH AND FIGURE OUT THAT I HAD CELIAC DISEAEAS AND ASK FOR THE TESTS MYSELF, I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY I HAVE TO FIGURE ALL THIS STUFF OUT FOR MYSELF AND FOR MY FAMILY . ANY WAY I NEED HELP AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE . MY WHOLE HAS BEEN EFFECTED BY THIS . MY DEPRESSION IS UNDER CONTROL FOR TWO WEEKS OF EACH MONTH . SO LITERALLY I HALF MY LIFE SUCK. THIS IS EFFECTING ME , MY MARRIAGE, WORK SCOOL, JUST EVERYTHING . IHATE IT , OH WELL I GUESS. THANKS FOR LISTENING , SORRY , TO SOUND SORRY FOR MYSELF . I AM GRATEFUL FOR MANY THINGS AND THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR ADVICE
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
The progestin (called levonorgesterol) in the Mirena IS NOT enought to come close to helping with PMDD - it is in such a small amount, that it really only acts locally on the uterus although some believe that it decreases ovarian function by decreasing ovarian follicles/cysts (I'm not a believer in that). Anyway, sorry I can not be of further help. Please do take care and honestly - I would switch doctors if you can.