Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

i have a thick white vaginal discharge. no smell, no odor,

i have a thick white vaginal discharge. no smell, no odor, no itching, no burning, sex is not painful, unrination is not painful. has been treating with flagyl and cleocin, pill and or cream form. no improvement. even treated with boric acid suppositories.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
This sounds more like a yeast infection vice a BV infection - I would recommend an OTC yeast medication such as miconazole or clotrimazole. However to clarify exactly what is going on - you need a wet prep and a KOH prep on a microscope slide (saline and potassium hydroxide respecively on the slide) to look for either BV or yeast. Take care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the feedback but i have tried all of that. I have had BV for years, off and on and have tried OTC, prescription, holistic, boric acid. The bacteria continues to be present. There has got to be more than what i have already done. Do you have any other advise. All of this I have already be told by several drs. There has got to be something more. I want to accept your answer but i am really looking for more that an caned response. It is a excess of bacterial. How can i get this under control.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
If it is a BV infection - and flagyl, cleocin and boric acid does not work - the there is an old method that is not used much at all and this the application of gentician violet to the vagina /cervix - this will stain your vagina purple for awhile - and this sometimes works - I sometimes do this about once every other year. Take care.