Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

can i safely use an underarm antiperspirant in my groin area

can i safely use an underarm antiperspirant in my groin area for excessive perspiration that results in a strong foul odor?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 4 years ago.
DearCustomer You probably could use an underarm deodorant in the groin area but the skin there might be more prone to allergy or hypersensitivity than the axilla (armpit). I would not advise it. Instead, I would suggest that the foul odor is due to a vaginal infection, usually cause by bacteria. It is called BV or bacterial vaginosis vaginitis.It is caused by a germ called Gardnerella and may be sexually transmitted. There is controversy about whether it can be gotten in ways other than unprotected sex, but I believe it is sexually transmitted, You cannot self treat this infection, but will need to see a gynecologist. Good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'm positive i don't have an infection. i am simply overweight and a heavy perspirer and just want to be certain i am not pre-disposing myself to any health problems by using an antiperspirant in my groin area. i want to be sure that the aluminum in the deodorant products will not be absorbed into my lymph nodes or anything like that.
Thank you for the additional information.I now think that your problem is related to your weight and perspiration.The aluminum is not harmful to the area or the lymph nodes. But the strong odor is due to infection, probably due to skin Staphylococcus and that has to be treated with an antibiotic cream,frequently and regularly to be eradicated. If you are overweight, make certain that your blood sugars are normal   Be well
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.