Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...

Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years

Im having period symptons (cramps, back pain, headaches, discharge,

I'm having period symptons (cramps, back pain, headaches, discharge, mood swings) but yet no bleeding. I'm a week and a half late. I had sex for the first time 2 and a half weeks ago. I have taken 3 pregnancy tests and they are all negative. I use to take birth control and went off of it before I had sex. It's like I'm having my period right now...but with no bleeding. What's going on with me?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you.

I can see why you are so concerned! Rest assured, you are not pregnant and there is likely nothing seriously wrong with you. The home pregnancy tests are very reliable. If I understand you correctly, you recently got off birth control? If it was within the last 6 weeks, it sometimes takes that long to regulate your natural cycle after getting off of the pill.

The symptoms you are having are "big PMS" which tends to be more dramatic off of birth control. I would bet that you start your period within the next day or so.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that now that you are sexually active, you may want to consider going back on birth control if you do not want to be pregnant. Also, Plan B is now available over the counter without a prescription for "accidents" - but it needs to be taken within 36 hours of unplanned intercourse.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Please remember to press ACCEPT so I may get credit for the time I spent assisting you. As always POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are always appreciated. Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me.

Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.

Good Luck and Well Wishes,

Dr. Haver
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything else it could be? That doesn't really give me an answer to help with the stress. This has been going on for the past week. Is it possible to just not bleed at all this month? I need some kind of relief so I can stop worrying about this.
Tell me what is causing you the most stress so I can help you with reassurances. Is it the fear of pregnancy? Thank you for the information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no. It feels like I have been on my period for a week already... but no bleeding has occured... I'm aware that stress can delay bleeding and the birth control will mess up consistancy.. but I just want to know if not bleeding at all is possible, and if it is, is that bad? Just so you know, I'm not a healthy person at all. I'm always very sick and my immune system is extremely weak.
OK - that helps me quite a bit. Yes, it certainly is possible to skip bleeding completely on occasion and if your pregnancy tests are negative, I would rest assured that nothing is seriously wrong.

If your cycle does not regulate after three months of discontinuing birth control, it is then time to call your physician and have her evaluate you. Hang in there. I think you will be fine.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience: U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years