Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Many years of extensive work experience in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women's Health

Why do i keep getting BV Can me and my partner be giving

Customer Question

Why do i keep getting BV? Can me and my partner be giving it to each other? Would he need to be treated as well?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 7 years ago.
BV is not a sexually transmitted disease, whenever there is change in vaginal pH, it can predispose to BV, some risk factors are douching, having a new partner or multiple partners, and using an IUD. What you can do is make sure you wear cotton underwear, and wipe from front to back. Avoid douching and any types of vaginal sprays, powders, wipes. Eating yogurt daily is also helpful in keeping a vaginal pH balance. When washing, just use very mild soap. You can read more about it from here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Good Morning Dr. Shah,

I have only had one partner for the past three years. What do you mean wipe front to back? The only kind of spray and wipes that I use is FDS and that is during my period only. Why am I repeatly getting BV? Can it cause me not to get pregnant if I have it while trying to get pregnant
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 7 years ago.
When you clean your genitalia, just wipe it from front to back not the reverse. Avoiding spray and perfumes would be beneficial as you are having repeated BV. Causes of repeated BV are predispose risk factors which may change vaginal pH leading to BV. BV can cause complication like premature labour and low birth wt.. Sometimes, when it spread and cause infection in uterus and fallopian tubes it can interfere with fertility. So if you are planning to have baby then it will be good idea to get it treated completely and avoid risk factors and follow your OBG advice to avoid complication.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you suggested eating yogurt daily. What kind of your yogurt to eat?