How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can A UTI cause intermittent burning in the vaginal/vulvar

Resolved Question:

Can A UTI cause intermittent burning in the vaginal/vulvar area? Even after the some of the other UTI syptoms (burning when urnating and feeling like haveto but little comes out, etc) go away. My daughter was put on a 5 day dose of Bactrum. The vulvar burning went away, then not until 4 days later after taking cranbery supps. and De-Mannos did the frquents need go away. But then the next day, the vulvar burning comes back, then goes away, off and on. Is this related to the UTI?
It is her first UTI. She is 19.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.


Vulvar burning is not necessarily related to a UTI. It could be a STD such as HSV, it could be a contact dermatitis, or even a parasitic disease such as scabies - the best thing to do is to have an ob/gyn evaluate her. Also, if a UTI was diagnosed - was a urine culture also done to confirm the urine bacteria? Take care. Smile

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

All gyn tests for every possible infection came back negative. She was thouroughly evelauated by an ob/gyn. They said they could see some irritation but that was it. Everything was negative. Then a few days later, she tested positive for a UTI, but I don't think they sent it to the lab like they should have.

She's going back to the gyn Thursday, but the internest said if it continues to go to a urologist. Since she definitely had the UTI and some of those symptoms did go away, I just want to know if the intermittent vulvar burning could be related. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
It would be very unusual for the "vulvar" to be involved in a UTI - hence why I was given other possible diagnoses for your daughter. She could also have a vulvar yeast infection - but I would be more suspicious for a contact dermatitis - such as clothing, a product she is using, even a latex allergy. I hope this helps. Take care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Lab work came out negative for any yeast infections. They assumed it was a yeast infection in the beginning and put her on a vaginal cream and an oral yeast imfrction med, which obviously turned out not to be necesaary. She hasn't been using any new products, clothing, etc.1. Do you think she needs another gyn visit, a urologist or both?


2. What else could it be? 3.Could it just be irritated from all of the antibitocs( the bactrim was the third one she tried) and yeast infection med? 4. Is that possible?

5. Could it just go away as asuddenly as it started?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

A urologist really does not deal with the vulva area - only an ob/gyn would. Also, this could be from just about anything - if she was older - menopausal I would get a biopsy of the area (a small punch biopsy) and have a pathologist take a look at it under the microscope. If not yeast, or anything else, sometimes a steroid (very mild steroid) cream such as hydrocortisone might help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So are you saying that a chonic UTI , could not be the cause of an off and on burning in vulva aea?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
No, a chronic UTI will not affect the burning of the vulva - what I am saying this could be something as an allergy to a contact dermatitis - but with everything that has been so far, I would possibly try a "punch" biopsy and put that biopsy under a microscope and see what the tissue looks like. Most likely, a mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone might alleviate the symptoms. I hope this helps, and please click on ACCEPT for the time I have spent as this would be highly appreciated. Thank you. Smile
Dr. Owen and 2 other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you