DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST
Experience:  MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
15221770

I have a small ovarian cyst 1.7 cm by 1.2c.m by 1.6cm. What

Customer Question

I have a small ovarian cyst 1.7 cm by 1.2c.m by 1.6cm. What type of self medication can i take? I don't have the money to pay for hospital visits. I am really worried I might die... Is this an emergency? I have done some research, but I am not a doctor. I know I can take birth control pills to slow down the process. Is this true? What type of OC pills should I take? thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 5 years ago.

Conservative treatment can be done in case of ovarian cyst if the size of cyst is less than 5 cm and not complicated. But follow up has to be done routinely.OCP like NOVELON or OVRAL-G (NOT LOW ESTROGEN) is best for you.You complete at least 6 cycles and then do a scan to review.

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what about other medication besides ocp and ibuprofen? I don't have insurance, is this an emergency procedure or should I not worry so much

No other medication is needed other than ocp.An ovarian cyst of size1.7 by 1.2 cm by1.6 cm is not an emergency condition.Such a small cyst may disappear without treatment also.

Thank you again

Have a nice day

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last one.. could you help me with this

This was the impression I got a copy of from my results of a pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal

"Bilateral andexal cysts or follicles. The largest on the right side measures 9 by 6 by 8 mm. The largest on the left represent a dominant follicle or septated cyst with internal debris measuring 1.7 by 1.1 by 1.6 cm. Suggested appropriate chemical follow up."

It says "cysts OR FOLLICLES", but what are follicles? Also, what are internal debris? Do I need the same treatment to these problems as mentioned from previous responses?

What is usually done or suggested the appropriate chemical follow up?

Ovary contains a large number of oocytes of which one is maturated for ovulation in each cycle and this is continued till the reserve of oocytes and ultimately exhausted and menopause occurred.In each cycle a group of oocytes are recruited and one them will be dominated for maturation to form Grafian follicle.The fully mature grafian follicle prior to ovulation measures about 20 mm.After ovulation the ruptured follicle converted to corpus luteum.Other oocytes which were recruited but not dominated of size 5 to10 mm become atresic.These follicles sometimes make small cysts under abnormal hormonal regulation and can form follicular cyst or corpus luteal cyst.These all can be found by trans vaginal ultra sonography.

As your ultrasonologist is not sure about whether it is graffian follicle or an ovarian cyst with solidity(septed with internal debris) so recommended chemical follow up.

This is done by tumor marker like CA125, M-CSF,OVXI,HER-2/NEU.,

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for your answers.I uncerstand i should take ocp for the time being. Could you please tell me what i can do naturally to prevent this from occuring again in the future?

The only natural way to prevent ovarian tumor or cyst is to conceive.

Ovarian tumor is common in nulliparous and unmarried.

Please click "Accept" so I can get credit for my time. When you accept an answer, experts get paid from the money you have already deposited. Feel free to ask for more information/clarification. Feedback/Bonus is appreciated.

Experience: MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't understand your definition. The last statement does not sound accurate

Thnks for your reply and for acceptance of my answer.

By the last line what I wanted to say is

Increase chance of ovarian tumor is found in women who never conceived (nulliparous) and also in unmarried(considering never conceived)

It is due to the fact that ovulation is ceased during the time the woman is pregnant.

More and more ovulation ,more chance of ovarian tumor.

Thank you