Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  MD, Fellow of American College of OB/GYN

Though I had a popcorn kernel stuck on the back of my tongue,

Customer Question

Though I had a popcorn kernel stuck on the back of my tongue, only it's two bumps - one very hard. Bothersome and feels like there's something I haven't swallowed. What can cause such a thing?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.Salar replied 7 years ago.
any fever , chills , where is the exact location.. on each side of the tongue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They are all across the back of my tongue and it's too hard to reach without gagging. Seems like they're spreading. Feels like there's cotton back there and it gets worse during the day as eating/drinking takes place. Have an abundance of allergies, so maybe it's related or maybe it's something else. No fever, no chills, nothing. Just a bothersome feather - cotton - someting I can't clear on the back of my tongue.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 7 years ago.
I would suggest that this be evaluated by either your dentist or an oral surgeon to be sure there is no sign of anything worrisome. I am a gynecologist so my opinion may not be what you are looking for but people can develop warts on the tongue, cancer of the tongue among other things and these lumps may need to be biopsied to be sure they are not anything serious. Sometimes it is just swollen taste buds from possibly eating something spicy or acidy but usually these will resolve pretty quickly. If these lumps are hard and not going away, get them evaluated. I hope this helps. Dr. Susan