Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified, years of experience in women's health, OB-GYN

I am bleeding heavily, going through a pad in less then two

Customer Question

I am bleeding heavily, going through a pad in less then two hours, and have large clumps of dark red almost black clumps in the blood. Is this normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question. It sounds like your menstruation is unusually heavy for you.

The amount of bleeding during menstruation usually depends on hormonal levels. The following are the usual reasons for heavy menstruation:

-use of hormonal contraception(e.g. depo provera shots, mirena IUD)

-recent stressful events

-uterine fibroid

We usually recommend that women seek medical attention if they soak a pad in an hour. Your doctor may give you medications to stop the bleeding so you don't lose too much blood.

You should also know that a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy can cause heavy bleeding and dark clots as well. If you think you may be pregnant, you should seek medical attention to rule out miscarriage/ectopic pregnancy.

I hope this answers your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is no chance i could be pregnant so what other causes
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.
As I mentioned, hormonal changes related to stress or contraceptive use(e.g. birth control pills, depo injections) or uterine fibroid can lead to heavy bleeding.