Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

what if you take mifepristone and not follow threw with the

Customer Question

what if you take mifepristone and not follow threw with the misoprostol pills , what will happen? and what percentage do i have on having a normal baby if any at all?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Did you take the mifepristone yet? The misoprostol (also known as cytotec) is used to soften your cervix and dilate it, and to cause your uterus to contract. It is the mifepristone that causes your uterus to "abort" since progesterone (mifepristone) when you stop taking it will "slough" off tissue, hence a pregnancy. I hope this helps and I would be more than happy to answer more questions once you click on Accept. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i took the first pill by mouth in the doc office which i guess was the mifepristone and was given four other pill to insert at home which is the misoprostol
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Usually mifepristone if given will cause bleeding and usually given as one pill? Where are you located, I'm curious? And, the 4 pills if they are the same, they are all misoprostol then. What are you thinking? Have you changed your mind?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im in florida and i have changed my mind is there any hope?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
There could be, but RU486 is a fairly positive progesterone - you can always try not taking the cytotec and see what happens. Please keep me informed, and since you will not be taking the cytotec make sure someone is with you just in case you need to get to the hospital soon. Would be appreciated if you click on Accept and please take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the mifeprex is 200 mg. so do you think my baby still have a chance of survival with out birth defects, and sience i already started the process with the mifeprex and the{progesterone } is fairly positive am i fooling my self if i don't continue with the rest pills..............if i do nothing farther dose my baby have a fear chance of having a normal life.do you have a percential as to what would be the out come?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
If the RU486 does not work and "abort" your baby, the baby will not have birth defects because progesterone actually helps a pregnancy. When you stop taking the mifepreistone or some other progesterone (PROGESTATIONAL), then your uterus thinks there is no long a pregnancy and starts to contract (hence what misoprostol can do to help). By the way, how far along are you? Please click on Accpet, this would be much appreciated for answering your questions so far. Thank you.
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i last had my period on april 4th so i think in about 7 to 8 weeks i think

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Okay, at this point, the placenta has not taken over its work of producing progesterone, so it is relying on the corpus luteum cyst of the ovary. Honestly, it is a matter of praying right now. How old are you? Are you married, or boyfriend, and was this a decision you made on your own? I have a website that literally I am just building, but if you look at the bottom for contact, that is me. www.obgyn-questions.com I hope all works out. Tell me what happens, I would like to know. I'm in Virginia by the way.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i was engaged to be married ontill my fiancee decided to hit me and i left him but i was already pregnant and could not see my self having a child with him cause i know it would get worse so thats why i made the decision to have this abortion but i then i also know that i don't have to be with him if i have the baby.and the bad thing about it i think im having twins. but you don't think that my pregnancy will survive right? because of the first pill i took right/
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
It is hard to tell, honestly, the answer could take as long as a week. PLEASE let me know - sent me a note from the bottom of the website I gave you above.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but if i only took that one pill and don't take or do any thing eles wouldn't the pill go out of my system or how long will it stay im my system? dose this pill work over a period of time?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
The pill is a steroid (thats if you took the mifeprostone) and even though in your system, then it does stay around, depending on the half-life of the medicine. I do not know the half life - but honestly, think good thoughts and see what happens. If by any chance you just took that one misoprostol (cytotec) then I would say you have a better chance. But, there are no published numbers out there. And, how do you know you might be having twins - did you see an ultrasound, or did the doctor tell you that you were having twins from an ultrasound?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the doctor told me and showed me on the ultrasound and also told me since it was two that i should take two hydrocodone 800 mg because the pain will be worse. thats what he prescribed hydrocodone .but fro the time i got to the doc office i was questioning what was i doing there,and for some reason instead of me walking away i still took the pill.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Well, let's see what happens, and would be happy to listen, okay. I am an ob/gyn attending physician, and my office is used as the "crying" office - I think people use me to get things off their minds good and bad, so I am pretty much use to it. I have 22 resident ob/gyn doctors who I teach, and believe me, even they have their problems and some of them are quite large, and similiar to yours too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but before i let you go if nothing happends with in a weeks time i should be safe and if i start bleeding then there no hope?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Bleeding could be many things, so an ultrasound should still be done - check out the bottom of my website - you can contact me there too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im sorry im looking for your web site and i don't see it please direct me if possible?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Go to the bottom and click on "contact me" - see if that works. send me a quick email and I'll tell you if it works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ive gone to the bottom of the page and there is nothing that says contact me?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Try this: http://www.obgyn-questions.com/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im not having any luck on your site it keeps saying error every time i try sending you a message
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
okay, I know when I put in an email, it gets pulled. Try using the word Manager and then the "at" sign and then web site without the www. Hope this works.