Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.
2652662

My 10 year old daughter is experiencing pain in her vaginal

My 10 year old daughter is experiencing "pain" in her vaginal area. She said it feels like someone is pulling on her pubic hair. It happens once an awhile. She has no signs of the beginning of menstruation. Any idea of what is occurring?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

The first thing you need to determine is if there is any possibility that someone is abusing her sexually. If this is at all possible, it needs to be in vestigated. If you determine that it is not possible, you should consider several things. One is that she may have some irritation there, this could be caused by frequent masturbation, or it could be caused by irritation from soaps, shampoos etc.

She also may have a foreign body placed in her vagina, which is very common at that age. It is important to have her seen by her pediatrician for an exam.. Usually it is obvious on an exam what the problem is.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so i can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. i am truly privileged to help you, and i want to make sure that you are satisfied with your answer. Good luck! Dr. SaulJE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know she has not been abused sexually and there is no sign of irritation due to soaps or anything. We are very careful about the soaps we use in order to avoid problems such as this. Could it be "growing pains"?
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 5 years ago.
I've never heard of growing pains being described in this way. I think you need to at least check yourself to see if there are any rashes or lesions there. If this persists or gets severe, she needs to see her doctor. It also could be a first period, which is often preceded by significant cramping, although what she describes does not sound like cramps. Dr. SaulJE
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience: I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.