Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. with more than six years of experience in the field of Medical practice

Why does my period blood have funny and strong smell?

Why does my period blood have a funny and strong smell? It is smelling different from normal. It never happened before. This is not normal for me.

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I have a few questions before I can answer you:

What is your age?

How long are you having the symptoms?

What are your symptoms?

When did you have the last period?

Any associated fever, abdomen pain, discharge?

What is the length and duration of your cycle?

When did you have the last period?

Are you taking any drug or pills?

Did you have any investigation or consulted a doctor yet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 44 years old. I had it for about almost a week now. Whenever I use the bathroom I can smell it. I never miss a period, but I missed it in April that was the very first time it happened. My last period was March then I started my period a week ago and that is when I noticed that smells really strong. I am not on any medication right now. I have not ask the doctor yet. The lenght of my period is normally 10 days, my heaviest always the 2nd day. I have no symptoms except today I felt feverish I was just thinking because my husband is sick so I though I am getting it.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

There are some common causes of such delayed periods and irregular periods.The common ones are stress, anxiety, emotions, menopause , bc pills, pregnancy, hormonal imbalance, thyroid abnormality, pid, pcos, etc.

As per the symptoms and your age 44 years , you should rule out the menopause as the cause of your symptoms.You should get the hormonal profile done to know the status of your blood hormone. The menopause commonly presents with such symptoms of irregular periods, absence of periods, vaginal dryness, mood changes, hot flashes, etc.

The other possibility in your case is pelvic infection(PID).The infection can also cause irregular periods with foul vaginal smell and discharge.Some women may not present with all symptoms.

You should have the relevant investigation done like blood counts ,pap smear, uterine sonography, thyroid profile, hormonal profile also if your symptoms do not improve.

The pelvic infection are treated with antibiotics like ofloxacin, metronidazole, doxycycline etc. taken for a period of 7 to 10 days duration after consulting your doctor.

Please visit here for more information:

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Actually the smells is coming from the blood I am on my period right now. When I go to the bathroom the blood comes out and it smells really bad. I skipped April period, but when I got it about almost a week ago that is when I started smelling it. Before I started my period it was fine. I was not worry about preganancy, because I had my tube cut.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Sometimes, the associated infection in the genital tract can cause the menstrual blood to smell bad.The bacteria present over there decompose the blood and produces such bad smell not present normally.The common bacterial cause is E. Coli infection, as these bacteria are present in stool and can travel from anus to vagina as both organs are present very close to each other.

These bacteria can change the pH of vagina which encourages bacterial growth leading to bad smell. The antibiotics might help you in getting rid of the bacterial infection.

You should rule out the infectious cause and have the pap smear, blood counts, smear examination done to know associated abnormality.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!