Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. with more than six years of experience in the field of Medical practice

Hi, I am 34 years old and have always had regular periods with

Hi, I am 34 years old and have always had regular periods with a cycle of 30-33 days. My last period was Feb 28th, it is now May 12th. I have missed two periods. I took two pregnancy tests and they came back negative. There has been an extensive amount of strees in my life as both myself and my husband have lost our jobs in the past 6 months. I was also very sick and had to take antibiotics the month of Feb & March. I am ready to make an appointment with my gynocologist...but I am so scared and nervous that there is something wrong with me. I wonder if ectopic pregnancy could be an issue or soemthing worse? Please advise your thoughts are. Thanks so much, Jess
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear jessie,

Greetings and thankyou for using justanswer,

You need not worry as such about the periods.s you already told that you had a lot of stress in the past few months.There are some common causes of such delayed or absent periods and the tress is a very common factor.

The common causes are stress, anxiety, emotions, pregnancy, thyroid abnormality, pelvic infection, pcos, menopause, bc pills, etc.

As per the symptoms , it is likely that the stress in you is causing such absence of period.Just try to relax and you will be alright.

Though the urine home pregnancy test can be false negative in early cases of pregnancy due to low levels of hcg in urine and in that case you should repeat the test after a week.The blood hcg test or uterine sonography are more confirmatory test for pregnancy.

The other causes should also be ruled out after consulting your gynaecologist.You should have the relevant investigations done like pap smear, uterine sonography, thyroid abnormality, blood counts,etc.to know any abnormality.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. with more than six years of experience in the field of Medical practice
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Dr. RK,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I just noticed I had some spelling errors b/c I typed so fast and forgot to check. I totally understand your advice and I agree that there is probably nothing wrong with me. However, I will defiinitley be setting up an appointment with my gynocologist so I can make sure all is well. I have been under extreme stress b/c of my job situation. I am in the NYC area where the economy was terribly effected. My resistance was lowered and mid Feb and March, I caught some bad upper respiratory and sinus infections. I was bedridden and exhausted. I wound up taking zithromax and feeling much better, but I think this could have effected my cycle.

I was put on some medication for anxiety and depression. Low dosage - 5mg of lexapro and 150 mg of wellbutrin. I wanted to reconfirm if you if you think this could be the main factor for my missed periods. I realize I will not know for sure until I see my doctor. Hearing advice online will help ease some of my worries. Thanks again, Jessie

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

dear jessie,

The lexapro contains citalopram and it can cause the menstrual disorder in some women on continuous use.The drug wellbutrin can also cause vaginal haemorrhage and bleeding though the incidents are less.

Please visit here for more information:

side effects of lexapro

side effects of wellbutrin

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Dr. RK, Doctor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Dr.R.K,

I had a routine gynocological exam this past week. Here were my results: not pregnant, normal pap, normal pelvic ultrasound, blood tests show normal thyroid and hormone levels. However the tests did show that I have not ovulated since my last period which was Feb 28th. Mt gyno referred me to an endocrinologist to find out why I have not ovulated, they will do more in depth blood tests. My dr said sometimes problems with ovulation are due to high insulin levels in the blood. I asked her if that meant possible diabetes, and she said not necessarily. I made my appointment with the specialist for next week. I am so worried...I am nearing 35 in July, now I wonder if I will have fertility problems and all kinds of other realated issues. I have never had a history of this and it does not run in my family at all. As I said, I am on 5 mg of Lexapro and 150 mg of Wellbutrin for depression and anxiety. I am a bit overweigtht, especially recently due to stress. I am 5'4 and normal weight for me is 125-140. I have ballooned up to 158, and I am now trying to lose the weight with a healthy diet and excercise. I realize pcos could be a possibility, but no cysts showed up on my pelvic ultrasound. What are your thoughts on this? Anything you can tell me to make me feel any better or less stressed?

Thanks,

Jessie

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear Jessie,

Thankyou for the enquiry,

Its good to hear that your blood tests came to be withing the normal range.

There are some common causes of anovulation.The common ones are stress,hormonal imbalance, eating disorders, hypothalamic dysfunction, hyperprolactinemia, polycystic ovary syndrome, luteal phase defects, or tumors of the pituitary gland adrenal gland or ovaries,etc.

You should have the serum testosterone, serum acth, serum prolactin, DHEA-SO4 ,Testosterone , ct scan brain, mri brain etc done to know the possible cause of such anovulation.

The diet and excessive excercise may play a important cause of anovulation apart from stress.

I advice you to have the psychotherapy and try to be relax as this will help you come out of stress and may help you if stress is the cause of your anovulation.

Please visit here for more information:

causes of anovulation

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Dr. RK, Doctor