Doctor Chauhan
Doctor Chauhan, Doctor
Experience:  Veteran; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists' , 'Top 100 Health Professionals' & Who's Who of the W

Could there be any other cause of vaginal bleeding after menopause

Could there be any other cause of vaginal bleeding after menopause other than cancer
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Doctor Chauhan replied 7 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Yes, there could be many other reasons for vaginal bleeding after menopause besides cancer. However in order to help you better, may I request you to fill me with the following information:

What would be your approximate age?

How long ago did you achieve menopause?

What are your problems - can you please elaborate?

Did you have any problems prior to menopause?

How long ago did you have your gynaecological review/ check? Was Pap smear taken and ultrasonography done?

Are you taking any medicines /pills/ hormonal replacement therapy?

Any family history of cancers, especially of female genital tract?

Any history of blood disorders in the family?

How many children do you have?

How much is the flow?

Any swelling in abdomen/ pelvis?

Any other significant history or medical problem?

Thanks. Shall wait for your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I am 62 years old. I have been in menopause about 20 years or a little longer. My problems started with a watery non-ordorus discharge about 2 months ago. I felt a little achy sometimes and tired. Just 4 days ago I started bleeding. It was quite a bit for about 3 hrs. Then it slowed dramatically and has been just a little ever since. This is mixed with the discharge which I still have. I have had no problems at all before this. It had been about 4 years since my last pap smear and exam. I went to my Dr. on Friday who said until the tests proved otherwise it was cancer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

(Sorry, I hit the reply button too soon)

I am not currently taking any type of medications. There is a history of colon cancer but not female genital tract. No blood disorders. I have 4 children. I do seem to have some slight swelling of the abdomen. I had an untrasound of the pelvic area done today along with an intruterine probe.

Thanks. Going by the description that you have provided, at your age of 62 and following a period of 20 years of absent menstruation having had a sudden bleeding, your doctor is perhaps right in giving you a detailed check for a possible cancer, and confirm/ rule it out (as one in eight persons with postmenopausal bleeding have been found having cancer).

Yes, there are other causes of bleeding apart from cancer in a post menopausal woman, and I am sure that your doctor would be considering these issues as well. These other causes could range from use of hormone replacement therapy, trauma, vaginal infections, bleeding disorder, vaginal atrophy, polyps, endometrial hyperplasia, etc.

Best wishes. Please feel free to enquire if you have some more concerns or if you need any more information on this subject.