Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.

I am 51 years old and still have my periods. The last month

I am 51 years old and still have my periods. The last month the bleeding did not stop, heavy clots, but (my periods were always like this from the beginning at age 12, at 15 I was put on BC pills and I took the pill for many years and things were ok) In the past few years I am off the pill, now I have very bad periods again. I feel like I'm having one long continuous period cramps, low back pain, irritability. I saw MD. She gave me hormones to stop the bleeding. The bleeding did stop for a while. Then I had a sonogram that revealed multiple small fibroids, a small cyst on my right ovary and some increase in endometrial lining. Now she wants to do the Novaure procedure on me. The bleeding has returned. I'm just worried the NovaSure will not solve my problem. What could be causing the continuous bleeding? She told me my options were a IUD :(, BC pills, NovaSure or I guess a possible hysterectomy. I don't really want to have surgery. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

It sounds to me like you have been getting very reasonable treatment from your doctor. At your age, your problem is not rare, and the options for treatment are exactly what your doctor offered you. Pill, (either birth control pills or plain progesterone) an ablation like the novasure, or a hysterectomy. Novasure is a great minimally invasive way to handle this problem, and the majority of women with this problem get great relief with the novasure (and with other methods of ablation). The only catch in your case is that you have fibroids. The fibroids may cause bleeding even after the novasure, in which case your best option would be a hysterectomy. You can also discuss with her the possibility of getting a uterine artery embolization, but it is debatable whether this is any better than surgery.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so i can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. i am truly privileged to help you, and i want to make sure that you are satisfied with your answer. Good luck! Dr. SaulJE