Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor
Experience:  I am a board certified, practicing obstetrician gynecologist with many years of clinical experience.
2652662

ive had a partial hysterectomy but i still have severe cramps

Customer Question

i've had a partial hysterectomy but i still have severe cramps what if anything can be done/
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much for your question. It is my privilege to be able to help you.

How long ago was the hysterectomy? When do you feel the cramps? Please tell me, I would love to help you with your problem. Dr. SaulJE

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my hysterectomy was a little over 3 months ago.The cramps come and go.The cramps are worse with execise or even sex
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. There are several possibilities, but since the surgery was three months ago, but is possible that you may have developed a hematoma (collection of blood) or an abscess (an infected collection of fluid) within your pelvis. This would explain your symptoms. The next step is for your doctor to order a CT scan of your pelvis to make sure there is nothing like this remaining inside.

Other possibilities include scar tissue formation, retained surgical instruments, but this (retained instruments, not scar tissue) should be found on a CT scan as well.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so i can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. i am truly privileged to help you, and i want to make sure that you are satisfied with your answer. Good luck! Dr. SaulJE

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ct was neg but an ultrasound showed an enlargement of the right ovary one month ago then a recent ultrsound was done and still had an enlargement of the right ovary is surgery my only option?
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 7 years ago.
That depends on several factors. How large was the ovary? did they telll you any details about the ultrasound such as was it a "complex" mass or a "simple" cyst that makes the ovary large? Dr. SaulJE
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a collection of cysts but i have not spoken back with the doc yet?should i have the ovary removed?
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 7 years ago.
If it is significantly enlarged, and it appears "complex" on the ultrasound, it should be removed. However, sometimes it is appropriate to observe it until it resolves. This really depends on the ultrasound fundings. In order to advise you properly, I would really need to see the ultrasound report in detail. Other factors might influence the decision as well, but if it is large, and you are having symptoms, the next step is usually to remove it. Dr. SaulJE