Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. with more than six years of experience in the field of Medical practice

i had my period then two weeks later i started spotting. i

Customer Question

i had my period then two weeks later i started spotting. i had unprotected sex during my period and i've been spotting for a week now. Could i be pregnant??
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear alongoria,

Greetings and thankyou for using justanswer!

When did you have the last period?

what is the length and duration of your cycle?

when did you have unprotected sex?

any associated fever, abdomen pain, discharge?

did you consult a doctor yet or have any home pregnancy test?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my last period was the first week of april i ended about april 5th or 6th. My period is a week long. Im not on birth control. I had unprotected sex two days before the end of my cylcle and he did ejaculate. I didnt take a prgnancy test because i figured it was too soon since my next period shouldn't start till May. I have no fever or abdominal pain. I've been spotting and its been a week now. I havent consulted my doctor yet
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear alongoria,

thankyou for the information!

As per the information you have given me , your last period was in april 1st week.Your expected date of periods should be in may 1st week.

Since you are spotting for the past one week, there are chances of pregnancy if you would have sex around 20th of this month.But since you told that you had sex before the start of your cycle, so it makes less likley for you to be pregnant.

The causes of such spotting can be due to other causes as well.The common ones are stress, anxiety, emotions, thyroid abnormality, fibroid, hormonal imbalance, PID, etc.

You should rule out the other causes as well if your pregnancy test is negative.You should consult your gynaecologist for the proper investigations like pap smear, blood counts, thyroid profile, uterine sonography to rule out other causes.

Let me kknow if you have any doubt.

thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i didnt have sex before my period, i had sex while i was on my period.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear alongoria,

The chances of pregnancy becomes very very less and almost nill if you had sex while on periods.The time of ovulation is usually 14 days prior to start of periods and this is the most fertile time to get pregnant.

Since you had sex while on periods , the pregnancy as the causes is ruled out.You should look into the other causes of such spotting which i have already mentioned.The investigations will help us in finding the correct cause of such spotting.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

I will be very pleased to help you.

thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i did forget that i got a little bit of seamen in me after having unprotected sex about a week after my period & i did my best to clean up. My breast have gotten a cup size bigger then i started spotting. I've been spotting for two weeks now. Im suppose to have started my period but i havent because im still spotting. i get hot flashes & i feel sick too. I dont think stress is causing this cause im not stressed. If i was pregnant it wouldnt bother me at all. I took two pregnancy tests & they came back negative. My mom keeps putting off making me a doctor's appt so what else could make me spot for so long.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear alongoria,

Thankyou for the enquiry,

If you have doubt about your pregnancy then you should have the blood hcg test done which is more confirmatory test for pregnancy.The uterine sonography also diagnoses pregnancy very accurately and is the gold standard in diagnosisng pregnancy.

You should have all the mentioned relevant investigations to rule out the other causes as well.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thank you!