Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues

strong vaginal smell, no infection or std just strong smel

Customer Question

strong vaginal smell, no infection or std just strong smell
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
Does it seem to smell fishy or like yeast? Do you have any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
fishy, no other symptoms just very strong smell, i want to get rid of it. WHen my husband plays with me, he can wash his hand a couple of times and you can still smell it pleas help
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
A fishy odor is usually indicative of bacterial vaginosis. This occurs when there is an increase in the bacteria that normally inhabit the body. It is not sexually transmitted, so your partner does not need to be treated. A doctor's visit is necessary to make sure of the cause via a swab test, and if so, antibiotics prescribed. In the meantime make sure you wear cotton underwear, and after going to the bathroom wipe from front to back. Also avoid any type of douches, feminine spray, and the like. You should also be using only mild soap such as Ivory. This site has further information
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Have been to my ob/gyn and have done the swab, i dont use douches, femine sprays. its a very strong vaginal smell.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
Were you given any medications? What did your doctor say?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No he said i did not need any meds since i dont have an infection, went toanother doctor same thing she was aware of the strong mell amd stated its just you, but like i said my husband can wash his hand several times and you cam still smell me.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
A fishy smell always indicates BV so I am not sure why your doctor felt that even prescribing antibiotics is not necessary. The only thing you can do is get another opinion and swab test done. Flagyl and clindamycin are the preferred antibiotics to treat this type of infection along with the other things I mentioned above.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Had two opinions already and both stated no infection, no antibiotics, that is just my smell. and a very strong one i hate it and i am very conscious of it even with my husband
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
Well, as I stated above this type of odor always indicates an infection. I don't know what else to tell you except to get another opinion, even though you already had 2, along with following my suggestions above.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Patty, but i was hoping i would get a different answer, I disagrre because i have had tests, pap smears two physiciams and both have told me i have no infections, have seen the results, and no infection at all.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
Pap smears would not diagnose this type of infection- only a swab test. I am sorry you disagree, but any experienced physican knows that a fishy odor means BV, as you can see from the agrees I have gotten from my answers. I can opt out if you wish, but you will get the same answer from other experts on here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did get swabs and also dont have discharge at at ll just the smell
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
I understand but as I said this type of odor always indicates BV.