Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
13332852

I have an oily discharge coming from my breast. It is not

I have an oily discharge coming from my breast. It is not visable from looking at the nipple. I only see it on my bra at night.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
What color is it? Is it clear? Do you have any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is clear. No color. I have no other symptoms. I am 48 years old. I had a complete hysterecomy 1 year ago. I have noticed this on and off during the past year. At first I thought it was sweat. The stain stays after washing but goes away after using Dawn. That is why I figured it was a type of oil not sweat.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
It's possible that this is lactation. This can be due to a hormonal imbalance, as a side effect from certain medications, or if you are stimulating your breasts on a regular basis. If you are not taking any medications that have lactation as a side effect, or you are not stimulating your breasts in any way, I would make an appointment with your doctor to have blood drawn to check your prolactin levels as this is most likely the cause.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is not been any stimulation.   The spots are never wet or damp to the touch just. How could the prolactin levels get altered?
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
Porlactin levels can increase due to a pituitary gland tumor, liver disease, hypothyroidism, and kidney disease. Sometimes it is unknown why the pituitary gland is producing excess hormone. I would make an appointment with your doctor to be tested to see where your levels are at.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have hypothyroidism but I am on Synthroid. I have an appointment in the morning with the DR.   Are there any other things that I should tell him or questions that I should ask?   The other things sound kind of scary and I would think there would other symptoms to Kidney or Liver disease.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
You need to let your doctor know any of your symptoms that you are experiencing. But most likely your doctor will check your prolactin levels, along with testing to make sure your thyroid levels are ok.
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues