Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
13332852

why would a menstrual period last 3 weeks and have foul smelling

why would a menstrual period last 3 weeks and have foul smelling but bright red blood? I am 53.( not really a dermatology question.)
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
Does the discharge smell fishy or like yeast?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no , more like something gone bad, rotting even.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
Any type of smelly odor means that you have an infection. The two most common infections are bacterial vaginosis. BV usually has a fishy type odor, while a yeast infection has a yeast type odor. You will need to see your doctor for a swab test to determine the type of infection, so the appropriate medication can be prescribed. Any bleeding that lasts for 10 or more days needs to be seen by a doctor. If the bleeding is heavy and you are changing a pad or more in an hour or less, you need to go to the ER immediately as this is excessive. If you feel tiredness, lightheadedness, or dizziness this can indicate you are anemic and needs to be seen in the ER. The bleeding could be related to infection, but could also be due to many other things including stress, weight changes, polyps, cysts, hormonal and thyroid imbalance, just to name a few. If the bleeding isn't as heavy as I described and you do not have any other symptoms, then I would make an appointment with your doctor to determine if this is due to an infection, or any of these other causes. In the meantime make sure you wear cotton underwear, and after going to the bathroom wipe from front to back. Also avoid any type of douches, feminine spray, and the like. Eating yogurt daily is also helpful.
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i plan to call my gyno tomorrow but i am a little worried about the odd smell. i know about yeast and bacterial infections, i just never had blood that smelled bad.