Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues

If i have my period every 19-21 days, do i still ovulate or

Customer Question

If i have my period every 19-21 days, do i still ovulate or could i be infertile because of it?? Me and my boyfriend have been having intercourse for bout 2 months basically everyday and seldomly use protection and i have not gotten pregnant, it kinda worries me.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
Normal cycles are between 24 and 35 days apart, so having periods consistently at 19-21 days is a little out of range. If it continues, I would see your doctor. The only way to know for sure if you ovulate is for your doctor to check your homones via blood test. At this point however it is still too early to be worried. Typically a year or more of trying and not being successful warrants for both you and your partner to both get checked out by your doctors and possibly referral to a fertility specialist. What you can do is track your cycles to determine when you are ovulating. Ovulation usually occurs midcycle, and you will notice that your mucus becomes clear and stretchy. Other times during your cycle it is off white and creamy. Some women also track their cycles by checking their basal temperatures, ovulation microscopes, and ovulation predictor tests. If you aren't already, you should be taking prenatal vitamins and eating a balanced diet. Stress can also affect cycles and becoming pregnant, so you need to try and be as stress free as possible.