Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues

My wife is 9 months pregnant and cannot stop vomiting. She

My wife is 9 months pregnant and cannot stop vomiting. She cannot hold anything down, and has tried that nausea medicine that dissolves on the tongue. She is vomiting so much that it has turned into a thicker yellow liquid. Should I be concerned?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
If she cannot hold anything down, then she needs to go to the ER immediately to determine the cause. At the ER they will also need to rehydrate her with fluids to prevent dehydration. This can be due to many things including gastrointestinal issues, food poisoning, gallbladder disease, liver inflammation, pancreatitis, just to name a few. So please bring her to the ER immediately for an evaluation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK she vomits about every 20 minutes. She said it feels like a stomach virus. Is there any thing else we can try before going to the hospital? We can barely afford the bills we already have, and we're about to get alot more by next week when our son is born.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
At this point she needs to drink as much fluid as possible so she does not get dehydrated. Clear fluids are best including water, sports drinks, clear broth, popsicles, and jello. One to two ounces at a time is best so as not to overload the system. This should be done every 10-15 minutes. If she still cannot hold these fluids down, then she really needs to be seen by a doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK thank you. I will watch her closely. I hope this baby comes soon so she will stop having these problems. I hate seeing her like this.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome and congratulations on the upcoming new addition!!