Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in obstetrical care and routine gynecology. 14 years experience as a family physician.

First with the libido problem, that might be a side-effect related to the Celexa. Often the main sexual side-effect associated with Celexa though is that it may make it more difficult to have an orgasm. Is that the case? If so, then one option may be to try you on Wellbutrin instead. It is an antidepressant that works on two different neurotransmitters (norepinephrine and dopamine) This may be a better option for you because A. If anything it tends to increase libido B. It DOES NOT have the problem side effect of making it more difficult to achieve an orgasm.

OK, next the concentration problem. I would not suspect that Celexa would be likely or expected to interfere with concentration but it is a psychoactive drug and people do respond differently to these medications. I do believe that decreased concentration may be listed as a potential side effect. What may make it hard to tell if it is a medication effect is that depression also interferes with concentration so it may be difficult to tell if the depression or the medication is having this effect. At any rate , here again, I believe that switching to Wellbutrin might be a good option for you as it is more of a stimulent type medicine. It is used sometimes in attention deficit disorder so if anything this medicine should HELP with your concentration and not impair it.

The joint aching I'm not sure if this is related to either of the meds. This may be a separate problem altogether. You could switch to a different form of birth control and see if it makes a difference. You might consider an IUD for example. This at least would rule out any potential side effects of the Depo-Provera and if later if you wished you could always switch back if you desired. For the ache in the joints in general I would recommend two things. For one try an anti-inflammatory medicine OTC like Aleve 2 tabs twice a day with food. Also take the OTC supplement of chondroitin sulfate /glucosamine 1200/1500mg a day. Over time this supplement is protective of the cartilage in the joints. It does not work fast but as the months pass by you will probably be able to look back and see improvment.

I hope this information is helpful for you. Follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im pretty sure that all of these things are a result of the depo shot. I can not have anymore kids. They gave me the shot to make my ovaries quit working without telling me any of the side effects. Within a week I was short tempered. Biting my husband and kids head off and at that time my libido began to decline. Also that is when my joints began to ache all the time. Finally my husband talked me in to going to the family doctor to get some help until the shot wears off, at that time the doctor prescribed me the celexa. Of course after taking the celexa my libido declined even more. I m going to a new OB GYN on Friday, and I will ask him about switching to the Wellbutrin. Also, all of these thing: loss of concentration, mood changes, loss of libido, and aching joints are side effects listed for Depo. So Im still trying to figure out when I'm gonna feel normal again.

Hello again!

Well, it definitely sounds that you want the Depo to clear out of your system so that you can definitely determine how much of these problems are side-effects of this medication. The medicine is effective for three months but I would say that you might continue to have some side-effects from it up to 4 months. Beyond that if you are still having side -effects then I would have increasing doubts of its connection with the Depo-Provera. (I've noticed patients more having some mood side effects with it ) As for the joint aching I've not noticed much of an association of patients complaining of this connected with the Depo-Provera but I can't rule it out either. Hopefully stopping the Depo-Provera will fix this problem as well. I am hoping that you will be pleased to switch to the Wellbutrin as I believe that it will help you in several regards.

I hope this helps. Further questions are welcome if you have any.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD