Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
13332852

After contracting chlamydia can it come back on its own after

Customer Question

After contracting chlamydia can it come back on its own after so many years? After finding out I had chlamydia and treating it I went to a get an annual check up and the Doctor told me I may have it. When I got the results he told me it was just a bacteria that is found in chlamydia. I treated myself. My partner now has it again. Can it come back on its own, or form from some other type of bacteria? Or is it only sexually transmitted?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
Yes- you can still get chlamydia again after you have been treated, and if you don't wait at least a week after treatment is finished to have sexual relations, it can still be passed back and forth. Chlamydia is known as a silent type of infection, as many people that are infected do not have symptoms at all. If symptoms do appear, they do so between 1-3 weeks after contact with an infected person. Chlamydia is only passed sexually via vaginal, anal, or oral sex.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What if you do wait a week after being treated, and both partners are sure that they don't have the STD anymore, but after a couple years, one partner comes to find out that they have it again. Is it possible for the disease to come back on its own like that, granted that he really hasn't been with any one else?

Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
After treatment is done, a week later you should both see your doctor for retesting to make sure that the medication has cleared the infection. This type of infection is passed from one person to another- it cannot happen if another partner is not involved. It cannot happen out of thin air- it is transmitted from one person to another.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had a physician tell me before during an annual exam that he thought i had chlamydia, after waiting for 2 days he then told me that no, it was not chlamydia but it was a bacteria that was found in chlamydia, Is it possible for a certain type of bacteria to turn into chlamydia? During that time I was treated with antibiotics but my husband was not, I need to know if it is possible that he was still carrying that bacteria and somehow it turned into chlamydia, since the doctor said I had a bacteria that is found in chlamydia.

Thank you sooo much for helping me with this matter.

Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
Chlamydia is only caused by the bacteria Chlamydia trachomatis- other types of bacteria cannot turn into the bacteria that causes chlamydia.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you get the bacteria chlamydia trachomatis with out sexual contact?
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
No- as I said above it is passed via oral, anal, and vaginal sex only.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last question, Is it possible to pass chlamydia through public toilets like some other types of diseases?
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
No- not at all. It is only passed sexually.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
has each one of these questions cost me $15 each?
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
No. The money is currently in your account and you pay the expert when you click the accept button.