How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Pfeiffer Your Own Question
Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 5987
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Pfeiffer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think that I scratched my urethra during sex. It burns when

Resolved Question:

I think that I scratched my urethra during sex. It burns when I pee and it does not feel like a UTI. Is there anything I can do to stop the burning or help it heel faster?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 8 years ago.



It may be an infection of the urethra...urethritis, which will provide symptoms you describe and is common after intercourse. It may also be a UTI, although I see you mention it doesn't feel the same. The next question would be what is the bacteria causing it. For that you will have to see your doctor and have your urine tested and the appropriate antibiotics prescribed (if necessary). In the meantime, you can go to any pharmacy and get some AZO or pyridium which is an OTC medicine that numbs the lower urinary tract and should provide you with some relief until you can see your doctor. Those medicines will turn your urine orange and can also stain contacts orange, so don't wear contacts while taking it. You should also increase fluid intake, including cranberry juice. While you may feel better taking either of those two medicines, you still need to see your doctor for the urine test as they do not treat an infection - they just numb things up a bit. If you get no relief, there may be something completely different going on (ie. traumatic injury, herpes, etc).


Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you