Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues

my period is been lasting for 10 days now. its very light

my period has been lasting for 10 days now. it's very light and there's no pain whatsoever. i'm 35 years old, and have never had anything like that. my period is usually very regular. also, no history of any gynecological issues. what could it be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
Any bleeding that lasts for 10 or more days straight needs to be seen by a doctor. If it becomes heavy and you are changing a pad or more in an hour or less, you need to go to the ER immediately as this is excessive. This can be due to many things including stress, weight changes, infection, polyps, cysts, hormonal or thyroid imbalance, just to name a few. I would make an appointment with your doctor to have blood drawn to determine if this is due to a hormonal imbalance, and possibly a pelvic exam to determine if this is due to a physical abnormality.