Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I usually have my period every 25-26 days. I am 43 years old

Customer Question

I usually have my period every 25-26 days. I am 43 years old and have never missed a period unless I was pregnant. I have very low back pain in pelvic region was late 2 weeks and now for the last 2 days off and on I have had a tinge of brownish/ pinkish blood when I wiped and today its turned to red but it only happened twice today and now it looks like its more brownish and sometimes its nothing again. I took a pregancy test and it came back neg. I was worried because I have had 2 tubal pregnancies from scarring that occurred on my fallopian tubes when I was young and haven't been able to bear children. I do have a uncomfortable pain every once in a while in the front down low in pelvic region on one side but the back pain is waking me up at night and I seem to be doing number 2 alot more than usual. Any ideas what might be going on.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 7 years ago.
I think a lot of what is going on is the changes of your hormones related to being 43 years old. You've never missed a period before, but you know that's going to change as you age. It's common when you're 43 years old that your periods will get more irregular, you'll miss some periods, and you'll experience changes of too much hormone sometimes and too little hormone at other times. The late period and current spotting suggests that you didn't ovulate since your last period. Ovulation is what causes regular periods that act normally. Since you're having pain and have a history of tubal pregnancies, it would be good to see your doctor, just to be sure that's not happening now. A pregnancy test may be negative with a tubal pregnancy, but your doctor can check your blood HCG to absolutely rule out pregnancy. I don't know why you're doing number 2 more. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes but what about the lower back pain and the pain in the front as well
it could possibly be from a tubal pregnancy. It won't usually be from the hormonal changes. It might be that you've developed a cyst on your ovary or maybe it's from the scarring on your tubes. I don't know, and that's also why it would be good to see someone.