Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
13332852

how do you know you lost your virginity do you always bleed,

how do you know you lost your virginity? do you always bleed, does it hurt? when you have sex is it bad to bleed? will you feel yourself loosing your hienamen? do you always loose your virginity with the first time you have sex? what i'm asking is to please answer each question if you don't mind.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
What is your age? What symptoms are you having?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'm 19 but i've had sex now for 3 years and i don't remember bleeding or hurting with the first guy i had sex with so i wanted to kn ow the answer to my questions so i could be a little more filled in.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
Virginity is determined by whether or not you have sexual intercourse. As far as the hymen is concerned, it doesn't necessarily tear the first time having sex, and you may not notice any spotting at all. For many women the hymen is torn even before sexual intercourse because of tampon usage, sports, horseback riding, bicycle riding, and many other activities. If you are currently sexually active and experiencing active bleeding when you have sex, this is not normal and needs to be evaluated by a doctor. In this case this could be due to many things including cervicitis, STDs, polyps, cervical entropion, pelvic inflammatory disease, fibroids, or cancer of the cervix, uterus, or vagina. A doctor would need to do a pelvic exam along with possibly drawing blood and further testing to determine the cause of the bleeding.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
oh ok well the reason i'm asking is something bad happen to me and i bled and my friend said that i had lost my virginity but i didn't think i did i thought the guy had hurt me while having sex with me. i'm not sure if i'm right or if she is. i didnt think you were suppose to bleed not even in a little bit during or after sex ,can you help me understand a little better about my sittuation.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
As I said above, when the hymen tears during intercourse, you should only have spotting if that- not active bleeding. Your friend is correct- bleeding is never normal during or after sex, and could be any of the reasons I mentioned above. I would make an appointment with your doctor for a pelvic exam if you are consistently bleeding after or during sex.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you !!! i appreciate it alot.
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome and thanks for using Just Answer!!