Dr Heal
Dr Heal, Doctor
Experience:  B.A.M.S with 10 years of experience
11859556

WHY IS MY PERIOD ONMY COMING FOR 2-3 DAYS AND VERY LITE ALL

WHY IS MY PERIOD ONMY COMING FOR 2-3 DAYS AND VERY LITE ALL OF A SUDDEN I'M ONLY 23 YEARS OLD.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Heal replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Was it regular before?

Are you anaemic?

With healthiest regards

Dr.Renjusha

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it would come for 5 days and no i'm not anaemic
Expert:  Dr Heal replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Just one last question. Are you on any birth control pills?

with best regards,

Dr.Renjusha

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i am not
Expert:  Dr Heal replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thanks for a speedy reply.

Your condition is called as Hypomenorrhoea and this scanty menstrual period is one in which the duration of flow is less than two days or the amount of blood flow is less than normal.

Most women though, use the term to also mean decreased blood flow, even if the duration of the period was average. So here, the term 'scanty period' has been used to describe both a period with a decreased blood flow, as well as a period with a duration of less than two days.

The medical term for less blood flow during a period is 'hypomenorrhoea'. And when periods occur at more than a gap of 35 days, it is called 'oligomenorrhea'. A gap of less than 35 days between two menstrual periods is considered normal.

Causes of Scanty Blood Flow During the Period

Constitutional Causes: In some women it may be normal to have less bleeding during the menstrual periods. Less blood flow may be genetic and, if enquiries are made, it may be found that the woman's mother and/or sisters also have decreased blood flow during their periods. Pregnancy can normally occur with with this type of decreased flow during the periods. The incidence of infertility is the same as in women with a normal blood flow.

Hormonal Causes: Scanty menses or periods can occur normally at the extremes of reproductive life - that is, just after puberty and just before menopause. This is because ovulation is irregular at this time, and the endometrial lining fails to develop normally.

But hormonal problems at other times can also cause scanty blood flow. Anovulation due to a low thyroid hormone level, high prolactin level, high insulin level, high androgen level and problems with other hormones can also cause scanty periods.

Scanty menses can also occur after long term use of oral contraceptives as a result of progressive endometrial atrophy.

In a condition called Sheehan's Syndrome, there is pituitary insufficiency leadigng to scanty or complete loss of periods (amenorrhea).

Uterine Cause: Blood flow during a period depends on the normal growth of the endometrium (internal uterine lining). If there is a scar in the uterus, the surface area of the endometrium may be smaller than normal. Scarring can occur after operations on the uterus like a myomectomy (removal of fibroids), after radiation treatment or in conditions like Asherman's syndrome. This may cause less blood flow during the periods

Emotional Causes: Sometimes psychological factors can come into play. Emotions and stress can act on the centers in the brain that stimulate the ovaries during the ovarian cycle to secrete hormones like estrogen and progesterone which are mainly responsible for the growth of the endometrium.

If these centers in the brain are suppressed due to stress, they fail to stimulate the ovaries leading to less or no production of estrogens and hence scanty menses or periods.

Other Causes: Other causes that can cause scanty or decreased blood flow during the periods are excessive exercise, crash dieting, change in the environment (such as by changing a job), stress due to exams, excessive excitement due to an upcoming event can all cause scanty or less blood flow duering the periods.

Tests for the Diagnosis of Scanty Periods

Blood Tests: Most of the common causes of decreased flow of blood during the menses can be detected by blood tests. Tests for the level of hormones like FSH, LH, estrogen, progesterone, thyroid hormones, prolactin, insulin and androgen are important. In polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD), there will be high levels of insulin and androgens.

Ultrasonogram: An ultrasonogram can diagnose the thickness of the endometrium, size of the ovaries, growth of follicles, ovulation and other abnormalities.

Other Tests: Tests like D&C and MRI scans are sometimes needed to find out the cause of scanty blood flow during the periods.

Hope this much details helps you.

with healthiest regards,

Dr.Renjusha

Dr Heal, Doctor
Experience: B.A.M.S with 10 years of experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

IS THIS GONNA EFFECT ME GETTING PREGNANT?

WHY AFTER SEX DOES THE SEMEN DRIP RIGHT OUT OF MY VAGINA LIKE IT DOESNT EVEN MOVE UP AT ALL?