Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

I smell sour! My urine and even my skin has an odor like sour

Customer Question

I smell sour! My urine and even my skin has an odor like sour cream. Why?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer Many things can cause urine to smell sour,usually dietary sources such as asparagus or brussel sprouts or certain medicines,especially several antibiotics and several other sources. Most women who say their urine smells bad,sour or unpleasant only realize that when they are toilet sitting because the smells rise to their nostrils. It is very likely that what is the source is a yeast infection of the vagina,especially if the smell is strong before your period. You can successfully self treat with several, vaginal OTC inserted creams in either a 3-day or 7-day regimen. If that doesn`t solve the problem,see your gynecologist for an examination and any indicated tests. If you do see the GYN, have no medicine in the vagina for at least three days before being examined.    good luck