Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

What can I take to make myself have a miscarriage?

Customer Question

What can I take to make myself have a miscarriage and how can I have one?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

How many weeks pregnant are you? What is the reason for asking for abortion or wanting to have a miscarriage?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've missed my period this month and when I took 3 pregnancy tests they all said negative, but still my period is never late. So, if I am pregnant I cannot afford an abortion and I don't feel i'm ready for a child, so thats why I would like to know the answer to what I've just asked.

With pregnancy tests being negative, chance of pregnancy is very low if you have done the tests in the second week of missed period. In the first week of missed period, the blood pregnancy test is more sensitive and home pregnancy tests can come negative as pregnancy hormone built up is not enough to be detected by the home urine pregnancy tests.

The abortion pill called as RU486 is a prescription product and is taken under medical supervision, so one if your pregnancy is confirmed, you will need a doctor's visit.

Apart from pregnancy there are other causes of missed or delayed periods, also, so they must also be considered;

1) Ovarian hormone dysfunctions

2) Thyroid hormone abnormalities

3) Stress, anxiety, emotional disorders

4) Sudden weight loss or gain

5) Excessive physical activity 6) Hyperprolactinemia

Read the resource under the heading secondary amenorrhea;

Good luck!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What I would like to know is how do I have a miscarriage and what can I do to have one?

I am sorry, if I was not clear. I apologize.

There are two ways of abortion, but both would need an help from the doctor;

1) Medical; The abortion pill is called RU 486, as I had mentioned. This is a prescription product so one cannot do anything on own, I am afraid. Please read about the details;

2) Surgical; A gynecologist would do the procedure.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I don’t need to know about an abortion just miscarriage.

Miscarriage is a term which is used when the abortion happens spontaneously (natural). If one wants to induce the miscarriage, this is called as abortion. Please read the resource;

Hope this helps.

Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 7 years ago.

Dear Customer,

Dr Phophalia has tried to help you. You are understandably upset but let me make this clear. You cannot miscarry a late period,only a pregnancy. You still have not gotten proof of being pregnant, only of being late for the period. Repeat the test again or get the more accurate blood test for pregnancy. If you are pregnant,there is no pill and no procedure you can do on your own to induce a miscarriage safely and legally. Only a gynecologist can and should help you. Try not to panic until you know with certainty that you are pregnant.

Good luck.