Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
12995549

I have breast milk coming out my breast and they feel sore,

Customer Question

I have breast milk coming out my breast and they feel sore, i also had my period twice last month and once this month but it was light and it only lasted for four days when it usually ast fir atleast six . And also ive been getting nausea ,and cravings . But i took a home pregnancy test and it was negative . Can you please help me ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer The most likely explanation for abnormal periods and presumptive symptoms of pregnancy is that you are pregnant but don`t know when you conceived. The home pregnancy test usually turns positive about 16-17 days after conception and tests done prior to that can be falsely negative.I would suggest repeating it in 7-10 days. If it remains negative,I would suggest you see your Gyn for an examination and to have blood tests drawn to measure; FSH,LH,Thyroid screen and prolactin.Beside pregnancy,there are other causes of milk coming from the breast. These include certain medications and problems of the pituitary gland.Finally, if you develop any pain in the pelvic area,see your Gyn immediately to protect you from an undiagnosed ectopic pregnancy.     good luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
My stomach gets bigger everytime I eat . I've been eating more than usual and my belly stays big . I'm a petite female and I kindve feel pregnant but the store bought test keeps on saying negative. I don't know what to do should I wait until my period comes or not
I would wait for the period since that determines what needs to be done next. If no period, repeat the home test or see your doctor for the more accurate blood test for pregnancy. If you are not pregnant,I would recommend you follow my earlier suggestions since that will explain both the breast leakage and the digestive symptoms. Be well
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took the pregnancy test last week it read positve. But now I have my period and I know its not normal. what should I do ? can a home pregnancy test show a false positive .
It is very rare to get a false positive home test. The appearance of bleeding would naturally make you think it is a period, but 25% of all pregnant women bleed some in the first rrimester. You must wait to see if it is really a full and "normal" period. If it does, it suggests an early miscarriage and the test needs to be repeated.If there is any doubt in your mind about the bleeding or the presumptive symptoms of pregnancy, you need to see a gynecologist for a blood test to measure HCG, progesteroene and have a pelvic ultrasound done.