Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
13332852

What causes orange menstrual blood?

What would cause orange-ish red menstrual blood? It has been this way for me over the last 4-5 or more cycles and I don't recall ever noticing the orange tint before, ever. I am 38 years old, have regular cycle with minimal pain during onset, usually.

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.

Orange hue to the menstrual blood is quite normal unless you notice that the discharge is smelly. If the discharge is smelly, this indicates an infection and would need to be seen by a doctor- otherwise there is no need to see a doctor. The appearance is orange as this is a mixture of vaginal mucus and blood.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So this orange tint is normal. Is it because I'm older? Well, I did notice that younger women in their twenties have noticed this, too. It is the color of a blood orange (the fruit) and I have no foul odor with it. I just know that my menstrual blood has always been bright red and so I was concerned. I had some other health issues going on with me since last early summer and I thought maybe this was relative.

So, orange-ish is okay? Why would it suddenly change to this color if it was always bright red, all of my life?

Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.

Age has no bearing- the amount of vaginal mucus you produce is what causes it to appear orange. The amount of mucus can increase for many reasons and if you notice when you aren't on your period that you have an excessive amount, then this isn't normal and needs to be seen by a doctor as this can be due to many different conditions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sounds good. I do not have excess vaginal mucus when I am not on my period--just some around ovulation. I did have a normal pap last July. I had abnormal ones a couple of years’ prior because of mild dysplasia due to HPV. I had the LEEP and my last couple of PAPs have been normal.

Can the Surepath pap be as accurate as the Thin-prep for detecting abnormalities with your pap? The Dr. used Surepath last time. Just curious. Want to make sure my last normal pap was really accurate.

Expert:  Dr Patty replied 7 years ago.

Okay then you have nothing to worry about at all and this is normal. In answer to your 2nd question yes- it is just as accurate.