Dr Patty
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
13332852

What would cause orange-ish red menstrual blood It has been

What would cause orange-ish red menstrual blood ? It has been this way for me over the last 4-5 or more cycles and I don't recall ever noticing the orange tint before, ever. I am 38 years old, have regular cycle with minimal pain during onset, usually. I searched the internet and several women have experienced this different colored blood, also...but I haven't seen the doctor yet, but will. I appreciate any guesses of what this may be. Thanks !
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
This is quite normal unless you notice that the discharge is smelly. If the discharge is smelly, this indicates an infection and would need to be seen by a doctor- otherwise there is no need to see a doctor. The appearance is orange as this is a mixture of vaginal mucus and blood.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Dr. Patty,

Okay...so this orange tint is normal. Is it because I'm older ? Well, I did notice that younger women in their twenties have noticed this, too. It is the color of a blood orange (the fruit) and I have no foul odor with it. I just know that my menstrual blood has always been bright red and so I was concerned. I had some other health issues going on with me since last early summer and I thought maybe this was relative.

So, orange-ish is okay ? Why would it suddenly change to this color if it was always bright red, all of my life ?

Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
Age has no bearing- the amount of vaginal mucus you produce is what causes it to appear orange. The amount of mucus can increase for many reasons and if you notice when you aren't on your period that you have an excessive amount, then this isn't normal and needs to be seen by a doctor as this can be due to many different conditions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you...sounds good. I do not have excess vaginal mucus when I am not on my period--just some around ovulation. I did have a normal pap last July. I had abnormal ones a couple of years prior because of mild dysplasia due to HPV. I had the LEEP and my last couple of PAPs have been normal.

Can the Surepath pap be as accurate as the Thin-prep for detecting abnomalities with your pap ? The Dr. used Surepath last time. Just curious. Want to make sure my last normal pap was really accurate.

Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
ok then you have nothing to worry about at all and this is normal. In answer to your 2nd question yes- it is just as accurate.
Dr Patty, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: OB/GYN 35 years of practice including teaching, pregnancy & GYN issues
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much !! I won't worry so much. I'm due for my annual pap soon, anyway and will follow up. Have a nice day !
Expert:  Dr Patty replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome and thanks for using Just Answer!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Patty,

I have another question...I have also had light-headedness that comes and goes since last early summer. I think that it may be hormone related, because I think I become more "woozy" when I have PMS or am menstrual. It was worse over the summer but has gotten better. Many things were going on with me at the same time, so it is hard for me to pinpoint what is causing my "wooziness". It started, like I mentioned...last early summer, seemingly after I had a bout of allergies/sinusitis and had used Zicam Extreme Congestion nasal spray (only off and on for a couple of weeks). I also used Benadryl only occasionally. Then the ENT doc did a scope...said I have chronic allegic rhinitis. I just moved to an area known for bad allergies/asthma. prescribed Meclizine and a Rx anitihistamine spray. I have always been very sensitive to meds because of my MVP (I've read that people with MVP have low tolerance for certain meds, etc.). I used them and after, I noticed the light-headedness/wooziness. But I had also gotten new, stronger eyeglass Rx and thought maybe I was getting used to my glasses or maybe they were too strong. I checked with the eye doc and he said they are the right Rx for me. Then I started having anxiety (possibly side effects from the meds/sprays and caffeine usage, and I had also started using artificial sweeteners (Splenda) and drinking diet drinks for the first time in my life, a year prior. I had gotten myself all worked up and anxious...brought on episodal high blood pressure, panick attacks (never experienced before in my life !) because I couldn't find a cause for my light-headedness, which is bothersome and scary at times. It is milder now. I don't have the spinning dizziness...it's a weird, woozy-weak feeling. It doesn't last long usually. But sometimes the whole day I'll feel like I'm floating or just "woozy". I did also start having GERD and the doc put me on Protonix for a couple of months. I no longer take this. I think the reflux was from the worrying, the use of antihistamines, and earlier last Spring I had taken a baby aspirin a day for a couple of months...I had read online that it can help with trying to become pregnant if you have elevated ANA, which I have known about since the year 1999. I have had no luck with getting pregnant, but have not been ready have lots of reproductive tests yet. Thought I'd try the baby aspirin. I discontinued that when I started having reflux.

So...I have discontinued the diet drinks, the baby aspirin, the antihistamines, the nasal sprays, the Protonix. I have cut-back on chocolate tremendously, I had starting drinking coffee again--and recently stopped again. I never drank more than 1-2 cups per day, anyway. I quit eating microwave dinners and most foods with MSG...thinking I may have a sensitivity...causing my wooziness. I have also had what I think are "hot flashes", but they are usually during the day and I thought they may be related to the GERD...because my upper stomach and under my breasts would get really hot for a little bit.

As you can see...I have been experiencing all sorts of new health issues and I am very frustrated. I am probably overwhelming you with all of these things, but I have been to the doctors. I had an Ultrasound of the Abdomen that was normal. I had a CT and EEG of the head and they were normal. Right before all of these problems, other than the wooziness, started...I had normal labs, normal ECG.

Do you have any suggestions of what I should check ? I never had this wooziness until last Spring. I never had this or any other health issues, other than elevated ANA and MVP.

Thanks for your suggestions...

Jamie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, yet another thing I have noticed...is that drinking any kind of alcoholic beverage seems to make me really woozy, too. I have only ever used alcohol occasionally and now days, if I have a glass of wine or a beer--I have become very woozy a little bit later. Maybe related, maybe not. I just seemed to not tolerate certain things anymore. I am even afraid to take a Tylenol. It may be related the GERD...and maybe all the stress I was under caused ulcers. My stomach problems have gotten so much better...but is easily aggravated by all sorts of things now, whereas before...I could eat spicy food or drink a glass of wine or take a Tylenol whenever I wanted to without worrying about the consequences. It's very frustrating.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for any suggestions...

I still had the occasional wooziness even when my blood pressure was normal. I thought maybe it could be my blood sugar, but it's always normal when fasting tested. I have never had the actual glucose tolerance test. Maybe that's an idea. I do tend to feel better after eating sometimes...but sometimes it makes it worse. Don't know if it's something I'm eating...if it's blood pressure, blood sugar, hormonal, anxiety, MVP, eye-sight related/visual, GERD/ulcers, allergies/sinusitis. Could be a million things and I'm very frustrated trying to figure it out. Where should I start at the doctor ?